Ramona Trail

Ramona Trail is a 5.7 mile out and back trail located near Mountain Center, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Mountain Center, CA: Travel south on Highway 74; the trailhead sign is located about 3.5 miles south of Lake Hemet.

back packed from ramona Trailhead to toolbox springs campground with a 45 pound pack....I wouldn't say this is an easy trail...moderately hard..all uphill to the camp...the trek out will be a breeze...beautiful area the spring is just a trickle. .but it's running..I thought with all this drought it would be dry...nice surprise

Very rocky at first so it's a tough ride - expect to walk your bike for a while.
Views are very nice and not a lot of people so it makes for a good feeling of escape.
Recommended but not best for getting your bike rhythm.

The Ramona trail can be made longer (if hiking from mountain center on hwy 74; up the mountain) as there will be a fork in the trail at the very end which takes you through a campground and eventually to the highest point on the ridge for the best views of San jacinto. This ends up making the hike about 13.5mi. This hike tends to be slightly boring for the first 2 miles but then opens up into some larger pines. Be sure to check out the massive pine cones if you get a chance.

one of my favorite hikes! the top is so gorgeous. love the pines and the little picnic tables at the the toolbox spring campground. a strenuous hike for an out of shape person like me, but probably moderate for regular hikers.

Very nice trail and great views. Tool Box Springs campground at top with tables and restrooms. Enjoyed it very much.

Tough hike with little shade in the summer.. The spring itself is a bit of a let down considering. Nevertheless, the views and terrain are beautiful. Similar to cedar springs trail in terms of difficulty. I'll be going in the winter time next since I'd rather deal with snow than heat.

A pretty nice hike with some nice views. But it is far from 3.2 miles out and back.... The directions here took me 9 miles down Thomas Mountain Road, a very rough dirt road. I definitely would not recommend this road to vehicles with a low clearance, especially if the roads are wet. There were bathrooms where we parked that were ok along with camp sites. It looked like no one had been out there in a little while, there was trash everywhere. Like an animal got into the trash and spread it everywhere. We attempted to follow the trail that was previously hiked. I think it may be 3.2 miles down to the next road, which may have been where we were supposed to start? But none the less we didn't want to hike more than 4 miles since we are still breaking in our hiking shoes. So we hiked down to able 1.8 miles and then back up, the total turned out to be 3.9 miles and it took us about an hour and 40 minutes total. There must have been someone on horseback who had done the trail recently because there was a lot of hoof prints and horse poop along the trail. On the bright side, we didn't see a single soul on the trail so it was amazingly quiet. We did see a bow hunter on foot crossing the dirt road on our way back down though.

Went Mountain Biking on this trail on 11-2-14 and it was a long way up(hiking) but the trail is very nice with different terrains and is in excellent condition and very maintained, trip down was fast and intermediate, definitely well worth the time

This trail was awesome. We started hiking around 3:00pm and had plenty of sunlight to finish at 7:00pm. Hiked on May 31st, 2014. The views are great. Lots of flowers, birds, squirrels and noisy bugs called "gold spotted oak borers". Watch out for poison oak more towards the top. We made it to the campround and turned around for a 8.8 mile hike. Bring plenty of water. Scattered shade. All around good hike.

Nice trail for the exercise.