Whittemore Gulch and Harkins Ridge Loop Trail

Whittemore Gulch and Harkins Ridge Loop Trail is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Redwood City, CA that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

A pleasant loop through the Purisma Creek Redwoods. This hike allows you to enjoy both the lush valleys and views on the open ridgeline. Take the Whittemore Gulch Trail to the Harkins Ridge Trail Bikes are allowed on specific trails only. Open space preserve in the Midpeninsula region. The preserve is located on the weestern slopes of the Santa Cruz Mountains overlooking Half Moon Bay. The open space features not only redwoods, but ferns, wildflowers, coastal scrub, several babbling brooks which can grow to sizable creeks in the winter. The elevation can dips down almost 1600 ft from Skyline Blvd and depending on the route, some sections can be rather steep. Make sure to bring water!

Beautiful trails but there is no river.... A very small creek that is beautiful. The hike is pretty steep and at times has some beautiful ocean views from a distance and supports a little wildlife. One of the last times I was there I hiked up behind a bobcat that just totally ignored me and bounced off the trail. There is some nice elevation gains for a good burn. Maybe it should be rated a little tougher than moderate.

Beautiful views but tough uphill on the entire last half of the loop on the Harkins Ridge Trail

It's very beautiful place . Lots of uphill and down good legs work out ... Love it I would definitely go again

Great trail! Within close reach for hikers in the Peninsula area. Offers some brilliant views! Took us about 3 hours to complete the hike

I took the Whittemore Gulch trail down which provides great views, shade and an easy trail. Coming back we took the Harkins Ridge trail which was steep and challenging with great views and sunny sections on the trail. Overall if you are looking for an easy hike turn around at the end of Whittemore Gulch trail and head back up. For a hard trail, complete the loop using Harkins Ridge trail.

Beautiful views!

Took the North Ridge trail to the end. It's beautiful with great views. Plenty of lizards and deer to see. You start out in lush redwoods and ends at a dusty look out. Steep grade back up kicked my ass but was a great workout!

I started from the top and had a nice and easy way down. When you get all way to the bottom you get to the creek and it nice and cool, but the way back up is a bit strenuous and the trail is mostly. Plenty sunscreen on Harkins Ridge Trail. It was pretty enjoyable with some great views from the ocean

Lovely park. The hike takes you way down, then slog back up. So the first half and the valley at the bottom around the creek are really nice. The valley is probably a good place to relax and eat. The uphill hike back will be your "payment".

I did this hike yesterday. It was a great hike. I happened to get a date that was beautiful with great views of half-moon bay. I would recommend that you park at the bottom (the sea side) hike up the hill and then come back down. Yesterday we parked at the top so we had a really easy start to the hike and then it was much more difficult getting back up the hill after you are tired.

Nice trail. Great views from up top and a serene setting down in the gultch. This is definitely not a walk in the park. As some of the other reviews say, it is one heck of a climb back up. Be in at least decent shape or have plenty of time to do the loop.

Great scenery! We weren't ready for the hills, though.

1500 feet down and 1500 feet up. The last 3 miles are just plain brutal if you are not in shape for tons of stair climbing; that's how steep it can get. Lots of redwoods and banana slugs for the first half, and lots of wild flowers and pain and suffering for the last half. I would say Moderate creeping towards Hard. It's four stars the first time out, but I doubt I would subject myself to that again.