Point Sal Overlook

Point Sal Overlook is a 9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Casmalia, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, fishing, and horses and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

beach

Breathtaking hike! One of the most beautiful around.....BEWARE OUR CAR WAS BROKEN INTO!!!!

This trail should be rated as MODERATE. It's a wide and often paved trail. Good views of the Pt Sal State Beach Park (!). Getting down to the beach at the end is a sketchy - we opted out and ate our lunch on the little overlook.

Great trail, I would recommend it to anyone. For anyone saying this trail is difficult or a workout is mistaken. The trail is a extreamly gradual, both up and down. Wide enough for two vehicles to pass side by side and paved on the 2nd half down to the lookout point. The only difficult part is the last .01 mile where, if you want to go to the beach, requires some scrambling due to a steep decline and loose rocks. If you want to make the hike more difficult, there some unpaved switchbacks that are much steeper than the regular trail.

I recommend bringing extra water and lunch or a snack. The trail does take a few hour to accomplish at a leisurely pace.

Disclaimer: Take out what you take in.
I had to pick up 4 water bottles on the trail and some small wrappers.

This was a great hike to clock miles in preparation for an upcoming backpacking trip. Not much to look at other than cows and grass for the beginning but the ocean views and trip down to the beach make it well worth it. I imagine in the spring it's amazing. I give it a lower rating because I don't know that I would do it again after seeing 3-4 cars in the parking broken into and a ton of windows smashed and a ton stuff stolen. Just really sad and not something I want to worry about when I'm out hiking :(

I have been hiking out to Point Sal beach since I was 12 years old with my father. Starts off at the end of a dirt road and curves up the mountain side on an old road. It's pretty much mellow incline half the way and then mellow decline the other half. About a 5 mile trip to the beach, the trail down to the beach used to be a bit safer but the years have taken it back it can quote hazardous if you don't get the right footing. Definitely recommend this trail if you in the area and want to spend the day out hiking. Bring water and some grub!

Has a nice view of the ocean towards the end.

The beach at the end made it worth it!

Starts off in a dirt parking lot at the end of the road and you basically climb a mountain and come down the mountain to get to the private beach. I wasn't able to get to the beach as I didn't think I was going to be able to get back up as it was definitely a hazardous beach access that was listed at the beginning of the trail. Maybe next time when I'm feeling froggy haha. All things considered it was definitely a 8/10 on the hardness level as out and back was just shy of 10 miles listed on my iPhone. I would definitely do this trail again

Great Hike! 10miles round trip! If you take the Shortcuts then it's about 8.60miles? But with an awesome Intense Incline! Check it out! See my photos on Instagram #JViL

Loves it, worth the view

Great afternoon hike .. May need to bring water & snacks for the trip .. Great views about 3mi in ..

Not to bad to hike. The outcome is totally worth it and anyone can do it. Would recommend kids and young adults to do it since it has some challenging parts but nothing that requires more than your legs.

Loved this trail. Did it with three friends and we loved it. Make sure you bring water and a snack if your going all the way out. Took us three and a half hours but we went slow and took our fair share of breaks. It's well worth trying. Most of the path is paved and the rest is like a fire road wide enough for four people to walk across. Make the time and do this hike.

The view was incredible and it was an awesome leg workout!

Definitely a good leg workout! A lot more challenging than I expected but it could be because I killed leg day a couple days prior. The view is absolutely amazing!

I thought the view was so worth it an amazing workout!..