Pioneer Cemetery Trail

Pioneer Cemetery Trail is a 3.4 mile out and back trail located near Burney, California that features a river. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking.

This trail was nice. We went in December, when the section of the campground at the trailhead was closed and blocked off. However the trail itself remained open if you walk to the start. We saw no other people.

The trail had bathrooms near the start (as it is a campground). It was also dog friendly, which was a key reason we chose this hike.

The trail is well marked and both wide and well maintained. It was more like a longer nature stroll. There was however one portion where the trail was flooded from recent rains, but we waded across with pups in arms with not much trouble.

The trail was mostly forested and I appreciated the remnants of fall leaves in December. Approximately half way to the lake is the cemetery. The cemetery, while unique, wasn't that impressive. It seemed like many of the stones had been refurbished or were new, so to me it seemed at odds with itself, but I saw this is comparison to ones from New England.

This trail is worth a visit particularly if you have a dog with you. Plus the campground is beautiful and Burney Falls just down the street is amazing.

This trail is located inside the campground out in a back corner. As a routine Burney camper I have been down this trail many times. Though I can not claim to have ever been down there in the daylight. It is often that, as a group of kids, would grab a flashlight and hike down. The trail is a wide dirt road that is pretty short and the cemetery is easy to get to. The cemetery itself is a bit over grown and contains some broken headstones but overall it just adds to the feeling of the area. I definitely suggest doing this hike, while it lacks a challenge the cemetery itself is very neat. While I only went at night time, most common time at 1am, I can not claim what type of traffic it sees.