Pinecrest Peak Trail

Pinecrest Peak Trail is a 11.1 mile loop trail located near Pinecrest, CA that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

This trail was beautiful! Based on my GPS, it's 12 miles and elevation change was about 2800 feet. Great views around the lake and at the peak. I would have given 5 stars if it wasn't for the wasp that tried to kill me!

Awesome hike. Loved the view all around the lake. Its fun to just get out enjoy the view and the fresh mountain air. Would deffently recommend it to people to give it a try.

Hi I made it to the peak from the the lake parking area. On the return I finished the loop around the lake and the entire walk was a little over 12 miles.

We started the hike at Herring Creek Lane.. We crossed the log by the old bridge foundation and headed up the path to the left towards Catfish Lake.. We then kept walking to the pond and bark Mi wuk hut.. Not far after this is a junction, we stayed to the right.. It brings you to a road with a trail marker pointing to a rock wall, marked Peak trail, we followed the trail the rest of the way to the top.. We hiked this in January and there were a few patches of snow but those were an added bonus for the kids enjoyment.. The view was amazing and well worth the hike... We jogged the majority of the way back to make save time.. ( Almost all downhill the way back.. ) The hike took us 5 1/2 hours

We love this hike! The dogs love it too. I am confused about the trail is used for off road driving? For all the years I have been coming here I have never seen the gate open to off road vehicles. Hubby and I have based camped at Herring Creek when the season permits. We are an older couple and yes we do huff and puff at the elevation 7000 ft. and the climb up to 8000 + but it is a doable and we always pack water for us and the dogs. Also a good idea to pack some sandwiches and enjoy the views! This in no way connects to Pinecrest Lake. I love the spring season up here because of the water. In the fall, like today, the water is scarce even in the creek. We saw trout that were stranded in the pools today :-( Also watch for when hunting season opens. Today I wore orange along with the dogs, orange bandanas just to be on the safe side. Enjoy!

I hiked from the town of Strawberry to the Peak in mid-August. The view is SPECTACULAR!! However, if you are in need of clear trail markers this may not be a good first try. Either start from the store in Strawberry (ask about how to reach Catfish Lake, but DON'T BRING FISHING GEAR!), or start from Pinecrest Lake and follow the sign on the West side of the lake for the Catfish lake trail. From either direction you will come to a three way intersection with a large piece of wood standing up. From here the trail obviously heads North. Follow it for about a mile and there will be an old timber road the trail cuts across with a sign that says PEAK. From here the elevation gain is more substantial and the real ascent begins. The trail was designed for mountain bikers so just follow the tracks and cairns all the way to the top. I haven't found any distance estimates going this way but with a few breaks for photos and food the round trip took me a little over six hours. Bring plenty of water as the sun exposure at that elevation is dramatic and dehydration can set in rapidly. By the way my legs feel today I would estimate the distance at about 12+ miles. If anyone gets a chance to pace it off or uses a GPS route I'd love to find out how far it really is :)