Pictograph Trail

Pictograph Trail is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Julian, CA that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October.

off road driving

Anza Borrego State Park: California Riding and Hiking Trail is a trail that is in California and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Not to be confused with the Pacific Crest Trail.

Did this hike with my family and we loved it! nice pictograph and the Smugglers Canyon outlook was amazing!

NIce little hike, good for kids. There is a sign at the trailhead that says no dogs on the trail, so I'm not so sure this is a dog friendly hike. I would call and check with the rangers on that. The trail is easy to follow, but wear long pants for all the cacti.

Great hike. The best part is the last part near the canyon and dry falls. Perfect place to stop for lunch before heading back out. There are some larger rocks to climb over and it's easy to brush up against cacti so I'd suggest wearing long pants and really watching your footing. The soft sand in several spots makes this a little more challenging to hike through, but easily doable.

I

good easy hike. enjoyed seeing the wall with the pictographs. I dont love walking through the sand in running shoes...I play indoor & sand vball. unfortunately didn't hike further & wish we did but we hiked there from the other side of the valley for 3+ hrs and need to get back before dark. from the looks of another review its very worth it.

Fun trail for all ages. From the trailhead, in Little Blair Valley, which has parking available, you'll make your way upslope and wend your between boulders. The trail is mostly well marked and easy to follow, though pretty sandy, which makes it a little harder than one might think. Keep to the right of the wash (south) and you can't miss the rock with the Pictographs. During the spring, fall and winter you can see how popular this trail is and don't be surprised to see art groups and even folks performing ancient Indian rituals at the site. To add a little spice to this hike continue a 1/4 mile or so farther down the wash to the Smuggler Canyon dry fall to get a beautiful view of the Vallectio Valley.

We did this hike in early march 2011. We turned it into an over night backpacking trip no permit or anything required. park at the visitor center for free. there was no one else on the trail once we got far enough and later in the afternoon. We lounged around in the different pools and rinsed off under the waterfalls. It was a great trail perfect for a quick turn around trip. Would never go in the summer way too hot and be prepared to climb some boulders and make your own trail since it tends to disappear but your in a slot canyon so you can't get lost.

Nice hike in Anza Borrega. Easy trail, it's a little sandy which can make the uphill parts a little harder. Hike all the way to the dry waterfall. You will not be disappointed!!

Wonderfully quiet. The first 2/3 of the trail is relatively easy. The last 1/3 requires climbing over some boulders. For a recreational hiker like us, I would rate it moderate. You have to be able to climb a bit to get to the end where you are treated to a small waterfall. and beautiful view. We went the 3rd of March. I certainly would not go in the summer when the temps soar. This spring the flowers were not too great as they didn't have enough rain, but we will go again next year. Great outing!