Old Paige Mill Trail

Old Paige Mill Trail is a 11.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near La Honda, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until November.

old growth

All-day hike to grove of ancient redwoods in Portola Redwoods State Park is a must if you can do the distance . The first six miles are nice enough -- lots of ups and downs in second-growth redwoods -- but the real payoff is at the midpoint: Peters Creek Loop tracks through one of the last remaining stands of old-growth redwoods in the Santa Cruz Mountains. The Peters Creek Loop is simply amazing -- the area was so remote that it was not profitable for loggers to cut the old redwoods, so dozens of ancients trees tower skyward all along the path. With its primeval feel, you wouldn't be surprised to see a brontosaurus rumbling through. Mind you it is a very long walk back, but it's worth the effort. This is a great hike all year long. If you go in the winter, make sure you'll have enough daylight to cover all the miles.

Nice redwood forest. A bit of uphill right at start and near the peak (few miles in) but mostly a flat easy hike. There's a backpackers camp a few miles in which is a great spot to stop for lunch on the picnic tables. We decided not to venture all the way over the hill and down into the creek.

Horrible. Peters creek trail is overgrown now and not maintained. We had to plow through miles of thick weeds.

Total hike took my wife and I about 5 hours.

I love, love this trail. I like the fact that it is far from the main entrance of the park and makes it somewhat pristine.

(Continued. . .got away from me)

I am considering the peters creek loop the trail from the center of Portola SP to the old grove on Peters Creek. I think it is about 10 miles RT. This is my favorite trail mid-peninsula due to the remoteness and the old growth stand if redwoods. Makes a fantastic run and hike.