PCT South of Deep Creek Day Use Trail

PCT South of Deep Creek Day Use Trail is a 3.9 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Lake Arrowhead, CA that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

3.9 miles 1364 feet Point to Point

rock climbing

Some PCT through hikers seen

The directions from the All Trails app (via google maps) led us directly to the trailhead parking lot. The last few miles is on a dirt road but manageable for regular cars barring huge puddles. The signs and parking lot is a bit confusing as all signs reference Splinter's Cabin and I did not see any mention of the Deep South Trail. Anyhow, the PCT trail marker is easy to locate from the parking lot.

You quickly come to the iconic bridge. The PCT trail indicates it goes straight past the bridge and also crosses the bridge. I didn't see any reviews discussing which direction to take. We crossed the bridge and that appears to be the wrong route to reach the cliffs and waterholes. We still had a nice, mostly flat hike through the hills will some good views looking back through the hills to the valley down below. Overall, it was a good day but I need to return to do the hike as intended by NOT crossing the bridge.

thru hiked the PCT 2016 one of the best parts in southern California

Amazing creek walk between you 3 story granite on both side. Took my ten year old twins and had no trouble. I recommend good water shoes.

Great Trail, and always water. Can be a little crowded. Road is rough going in, truck or 4wheel drive recommended.

The trail laid out is BS no water or waterfall at the destination. It stops in the middle of a trail and there is nothing but dirt, some shade which is alright but nothing like the pictures posted to this trail. The creek and running water is at the beginning before you even start the trail.

Ok

Absolutely loved this spot. Several different places that we stopped and enjoyed. Made it all the way to the larger swimming hole and didn't go down to the water because of how crowded it was, but that was Memorial Day weekend. Great swimming spot, amazing place. Definitely coming back!

It's not easy to get to but what good hike really is. Started off right away with a nice picturesque calm spring, where we countered a graduation photo shoot going on. Continued on with a good jog for about a mile to this trial that was very steep. We could've gone on the easy path but we wouldn't have seen the cool Aztec Falls and beautiful land scape. All in all a great hike either for beginners or advanced. It's just depends on how you want to go.

Pretty nice hike, if you read other reviews finding it wasn't too difficult, I'll definitely be returning on the future

Great!

off road driving

It was an amazingly beautiful hike, especially during the winter. The creek was frosted over and the hills were all green. Beautiful views and scenery. Would highly recommend especially since it's a very mild grade and little elevation change.

off road driving

Easy to find & not too rough getting to trailhead. On a weekday it was near complete solitude! PCT markers periodically, a trail well worth your time and effort. Just haul your trash out and don't tag. From the first time I was here in June to just 4 months later in October it was pretty sad how much spray paint was all over what used to be the more beautiful areas. But I will go back again, and again, and again....

The parking area is at the beginning of my track. There are facilities there, and a good place to set up. Most of the people there, are there to hike the short (but steep) distance to the pools of water near the bridge and cliffs to sun bathe, party, and dive off the cliffs. The tracks on this web site thus far go east on the PCT (I haven't done this part). This track is the PCT's northern heading trail that follows Deep Creek Canyon toward the high desert. It's 27 miles to the high desert one way. The terrain is dry, and "high desert like". This part is a trail cut into the hill and cliffs that follow Deep Creek. The middle mile of my track is quite fun and scenic. The trail is in very good condition, but you do have to pay some attention. The trail is always at least 1 1/2 feet wide. The drop off can be impressive. Note - my track should have gone 1/2 mile further north up to "Devils Hole" (didn't know that at the time).

This was a pretty easy hike along a ridge. Getting to it was a bit off road and my navigation took us to the left when we should have stayed right at the fork. Luckily I had AWD and was able to off road our way back out. It is a single lane dirt road going in and you hit a sign that says "Splinters" take that road to the day use parking. Remember to get your permit too. If you don't the fine is only $5 same as the permit. When yo hit the trail don't go across the bridge stay to the left and follow the PCT along the ridge. it is a single track the whole way. When you come back go across the bridge at the beginning to the creek below it is cool and beautiful. Soft sandy beach to rest on and put your feet int he water. There are bathrooms at the parking lot and a picnic area too.

I will start to state that I'm completely navigationally challenged...but the directions I followed that the all trails app provided didn't seem correct at all and included 6 miles of off-roading in my Prius so I turned around. I eventually found it by googling "Hook Creek Road" that another site stated you take and found the trail. I was confused as there's a Splinters campground that leads to the creek, luckily I came across some fellow hikers that knew where to go so I followed them. When you cross the bridge and follow the PCT, in about a mile you come to a very steep decent to the creek. It's July and fairly warm - so it was pretty crowded. Overall, I would probably do it again and enjoy the water. I think I was just slightly over it with my lengthy detour to find the spot.

Nice trail with its reward at the end.

Love this spot. A nice quick hike through to Deep Creek. Beginner to Moderate. I always cut off and traverse down to water to camp and fish for a night or two. Usually pretty quiet once you get past the popular water falls that are about a mile out. Bring lots of water. Seen quite a few folks hiking PCT through. Nice trail head area w bathrooms and a good place to prep for the hike.