PCT: CA Section K - Echo Lake to Highway 80

PCT: CA Section K - Echo Lake to Highway 80 is a 61.2 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near South Lake Tahoe, CA and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, horses, and backpacking and is accessible from April until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

61.2 miles 12211 feet Point to Point

Finished this last week, “but in reverse “Went from North to South. There are some very challenging climbs, “as to be expected” and long days on the trial. The sites are amazing and the people I met were extremely friendly! I had gotten some blisters at the start which proved to be a challenge especially when there was a Backpacking taxi at the Barker Pass rest-stop that could have taken me into Tahoe for cheeseburgers and beer. I fought the urge and drove on. (Yea-Mountain house) The moon was getting brighter each evening and we hiked at night, if possible I highly recommend it, the trial is a bit dangerous for this activity as there are a lot of roots, rocks, and steps, etc. etc. But the experience was well worth it. As far a wild life I saw a coyote at drop off and tracks of deer or some kind of hoofed animal. I thought I saw what might be a print of a mountain lion but could be a dog or squirrel I mean how would I actually know….? The hike isn’t impossible for the average person; you will need to prepare for it. I have thought of the rating here and cant come up with what makes one trail hard to intermediate and or easy... This would be hard just by the length and the preparation required to be ready to go.