PCT: CA Section C - Highway 10 to Highway 15 (Cajon Pass)

PCT: CA Section C - Highway 10 to Highway 15 (Cajon Pass) is a 127.5 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near White Water, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

127.5 miles 22083 feet Point to Point

Yhe trail through here has been groomed. very nice.

Read the book "wild" so when we came to visit I had to hike it. Only did part of the trail at the time. I couldn't find any info on it and didn't allow enough to time. It was a nice moderate hike.

We intented to run the Canyon View Loop but couldn't find the loop. So, we ran out and back from the Whitewater Ranger Station to Red Dome. It was a nice easy trail run. It was mostly flat with a slight up-hill on the way to the dome. The creek was running. It was Memorial Day weekend so there were some people out and a couple of backpackers hiking the PCT. There's a lot of sun, so hit the sunscreen. Much of the trail is rock and sand.

On the day I decided to hike this part of the pct it was actually raining, but I only was doing a day hike. I can see how it could be insanely hot during the summer. I drove up an old dirt road (seemed like a high clearance vehicle would be needed) and parked in a dirt parking area. From there I wasn't terribly thrilled cuz at first all you see is the energy windmills and the eerie noises they make. Not much to look at and no wildlife. However I did end up hiking with a small group of guys who were thru hiking. We all kind of bottlenecked at the pass through the mountains. You then take switchbacks all the way down the other side. This was a challenge in cool weather I can't imagine it in hot weather! I went about 6 miles in and 6 miles back out. Once you start to get some views on the other side it is very breathtaking. Overall it was a good hike, good people and some good sights, but I don't think I would do this on a hot day unless I was thru hiking.

We chose to start @ Whitewater Preserve & were quite impressed with amazing scenery as well as great facilities. Loved the visitor center, trout ponds, picnic areas, free ample parking, & well marked trails. Many choices of distance & difficulty levels. Easy to reach PCT. We opted for the 6.5 mile route to Mission Creek Stone House & were so pleasantly surprised when we arrived. Did not expect to find such a well preserved building complete with picnic tables & even clean, flush toilets! We had to return the way we came since we did not plan a car shuttle, but could've gone rest of the way to Mission Creek Preserve making it about an 8 mile one way hike. The return trip seemed long because it was....13 miles but it was a beautiful day so very enjoyable!