Partington Cove Trail

Partington Cove Trail is a 1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Big Sur, CA that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and walking.

A hike down a steep road that will take you over a wooden bride and through a tunnel to a view of the protected Partington Cove. The hike back up the hill will be steep, but is short. There is a lovely quick side trip to a river if you take the path left of the wildlife sign before the bridge. Highly recommend--it's peaceful and secluded, and you can take some time to enjoy the shade and the sound of the water.

Such a beautiful hike. My wife and I hiked this trail with another couple we met in Big Sur, two days before our wedding. Was our first hike together, and I don't think we could have picked a better one. Went out on the rocks, saw tons of sea urchin and huge waves. Will need to do this one again when better prepared next time in Big Sur.

Beautiful ocean vista on the tunnel side.

Quick easy walk. Just beautiful!

Short and sweet. After you walk down to the rocks on the main trail definitely take the tunnel to Partington Cove on your way back. If you want to hike the Tan Bark Trail the Partington Cove is a good one to do the same day because they are across the street from each other. Neither one of these trails are marked from the road because they are not State Parks. Cell phone reception is non existent at best so make sure you have maps/mile markers or whatever you are using to find the location downloaded in advance.

Short hike but beautiful! My partner and I ran downhill. We climbed out to the rocks and watched the waves. Must do indeed!

There is a lot of history in these coves, as you can see by walking through the hewn tunnel (past the lovely creek) and noting the concrete footings that still remain of the pier that was used to off load supplies from coasting ships over a century ago.
One can even do a "Sitz-dip" in the creek on a hot day (rare).
This is a good place to see a hidden secret of Big Sur and to avoid the larger crowds at the Pffiefer State Park just south.
The real hidden gem is the trail up through the redwoods acrid the road. A way longer hike but nicely remote.

A quick trip down to a spectacular cove! Very relaxing. I highly recommend taking the side trail to the left of the wildlife sign on your way down. You'll see a great creek, and it's very peaceful to listen to the water and take pictures of the mini-waterfalls.