EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Paradise Lake Trail

Paradise Lake Trail is a 15.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Truckee, CA that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from June until October.

An overnight backpacking trip along the Pacific Coast Trail in Truckee, California. Paradise Lake is a classic Sierra Nevada lake with gorgeous sunsets and a pristine lake full of trout. This overnight backpacking trip is easily accessible from Highway 80 and follows parts of the Pacific Crest Trail in the Tahoe National Forest.

Fun out n back day hike. Easy trail and the lake was amazing. Prepare for a 2 mile uphill grind on the return from the lake, so fuel up before leaving Paradise.

Beautiful, well worth the nice 6 mile hike in. The lake and surrounding area is gorgeous! Just bring a face net or bug spray for the last 2.5 miles in and out. The bugs eat you alive.

This was a good hike. We extended it a bit by starting at the donner party PCT trailhead at a rest area off of 80. It made the hike around 10 miles each way. Took us about 4 hours. We hiked with 2 dogs. They did well but were a bit sore after the hike out. The trail is easy to follow. We only had trouble at the very end hiking up the granite to the lake. There are very nice camping sites and even some established fire rings. My only complaint is the bugs. In the afternoon on the way there, the flies were pretty bad. We left around 8am the next day and got eaten alive by mosquitos. Overall a good hike with some beautiful vistas on the way there and a perfect view from the tent at the end.

It is a nice hike, I recommend doing the out and back and only continue to Warren lake if you are prepared to Boulder down rocks.

We did the entire loop from Paradise Lake over to Warren Lake and out of Warren lake. It was very difficult but beautiful. The hike to Paradise Lake was easy, met lots of amazing PCT through hikers. Our goal was to get to Warren Lake, the climb over was very difficult. Perhaps we were on the wrong trail? We climbed over boulders, and cliffs. We had to take our packs off to climb down certain areas, very scary at points.
Warren Lake was beautiful. We set up camp, had a cold swim. The hike out was tough. You climb to 8,000 elevation. There was snow on a lot of parts that made you lose the trail. Make sure you have a satellite map just to keep you on the right course. Some areas not clearly marked. It was such a relief to see day hikers. This gave us hope we were close to our starting point. After 3 days on the trail, scratched, bruised and eaten up by mosquitos we wanted to get home!!! Take Deet!!! Only thing that works. A friend told me about maps.me app works when your phone is on airplane mode.

Went for a lovely hike and the ended it with a magnificent swim in the lake. Camped on the east side of the lake. There is a very nice camping spot with a grill located on the north side of the lake. Try to avoid the jeep trail as much as you can at the start. The trails to the west or along the ridge are more lovely. There is a spring about 5 or so miles in. Probably more fresh water sources earlier in summer but in Auguest they were a bit sparser. Awesome hiking trip. Easy grade, nice distance, good camp grounds. :) enjoyed it very much so

Beautiful trail, more a moderate hike than hard if starting from the end of the jeep trail. If you are taking the Jeep trail, go left at the fork to Castle Pass (there is a sign for that and Hole in the Ground) and park there for a shorter hike or go right at the fork to start lower on the PCT. Either way, the hike is great. Paradise Lake is another stunning alpine lake with pristine water, cool islands to swim to and a nice trail around the edge. The only problem is that it is well loved. There are MANY fire rings, some trash and many people. This weekend there were no less than 50 people at the lake camping. The trail to Warren Lake is difficult - we only made it halfway on a lazy day hike - but I heard it was worth it and there is a trail going around that lake. There are not really other day hike options from Paradise. I recommend it - mid-week. Or maybe later in the fall when the cold keeps some people out of the backcountry.

This was a nice little overnight trip, not too many people camping at the lake. The portion of the PCT is beautiful, and the hiking is moderate except for the initial ascent and the switchbacks leading down to the turnoff to the lake.

I parked at the end of the road on the opposite side of the freeway from Boreal and hiked up the jeep trail to where it intersects with the PCT at Castle Pass. The jeep trail is obvious and easy to follow and there is good signage at Castle Pass for the PCT. There is also a sign at the trail that splits off to Paradise Lake. Approaching the lake, the trail becomes hard to follow over the granite slabs, so look for cairns leading the way, or just keep working your way east and you will run into the lake. There are several good campsites along the bank of the lake on the west and southwest sides, and also an island you can wade over to and camp on as well.

Beware the mosquitos! Bring plenty of bug spray -- I have never seen so many mosquitos, especially when the sun went down and early in the morning. There were thousands of dragon flies, which won't bother you and were kind of cool to watch as they moved in waves and congregated over the water. I dropped a line several places in the lake in an attempt to fish, but met with negative results. The lake water was very clear and I saw no fish.

This is a great hike for dogs if they are in reasonable shape. It was a little too much for my bulldogs, but bulldogs are not known for their athletic abilities. We made the trek in about four hours, which includes a few breaks. There was plenty of water in the form of creeks and streams along the way, but it was pretty strenuous for them. The jeep trail is VERY rocky and was rough on their paws, and sections of the trail that were steep or exposed tended to burn them out quickly.

I carried a 40-pound pack that included 2 liters of water. It was only slightly more water than I needed to do the hike (one way) in four hours and stay very hydrated. I will pick a shorter hike for my dogs in the future, but I would do this hike again without them. The lake was beautiful, if a little cold, but a lovely destination after a long hike.

Beautiful

Jessica, if you have a higher clearance vehicle you can take the andersite ridge fire road a few miles back to where it intersects the pct. It's a good spot to camp and stage. If you don't have a vehicle capable of making the trail, it is a fire road so is easy to follow. The road splits almost immediately after the gate, go right and follow the road, it splits a few times, stay to the left. Once the road runs out hike up to the ridge right in front of you and you are on the pct. have fun!

Hi-- I am planning on taking an overnight backpacking trip to Paradise Lake in a couple weeks. I'm not arriving in the area until the evening time and plan on starting the hike early the next morning. Is there anywhere close to the trailhead where I can camp-- a campground not far down the highway? Is the trail defined enough to night hike a little ways in and camp?

Sorry for posting questions and not a review: there isn't too much info. about this trail online. Hopefully I can get some answers that may be helpful to others planning a hike.

Thanks in advance and Happy Trails! :)

This is a nice walk and beautiful destination. More like 20 miles RT if parking at Donner Pass Sno-Park and taking the PCT the entire way. The lake is absolutely perfect. Went in for an overnight backpack on 10/23-24. Had the lake to ourselves. No bear activity - bear vault undisturbed. The lake was a bit tricky to find. Take the jeep track until it peters out on granite, and then follow the little rock cairns due east. You'll hit the west side of the lake. A very nice reward after a moderate hike, and a location worthy if staying and relaxing for a couple of days.

Great trail and Paradise Lake is beautiful. I've been there 2 times this summer and would go again.

September, 2012
Fantastic spot. Trail is tricky to follow at points. The one on our (admittedly old) map was gone so we just bushwacked straight up to the saddle.

I solo backpacked into Paradise Lake back in early October. I took the Castle Peak trail to the top (got some strange looks due to my pack) and the view was great. I then headed north along the top of the ridge for a mile or so to the second little peak, also a great view. I went down northwest to meet up with the PCT but ran into some other unmarked trail instead. That was taking me the wrong way so Eventually I just bushwhacked towards where I knew the lake was. I ended up on top of a very steep ridge with the lake in sight and scrambled down to the meadow on the west side and then to lake.
The lake is beautiful with scattered camp sites. If you walk around to the easy side of the lake there is a pretty awesome view of warren lake nestled below.
The trails are a bit confusing at the start, but if you have a topo and know how to navigate there's not too much danger of getting lost.
I must say that this was by far the windiest trip I have ever experienced (all night!) but that's partially due to the time of year and the exposed elevation.

We used to live up the road in Magalia, spent lots of time on the lake. Well maintained - fun fishing (never caught anything big) - beautiful scenery and easy for the kids. I've heard of bear sightings but never seen anything bigger than lizards and snakes. Fun bees living in the hillside at one point - great to sit on the bench with the kids and watch them. Love this trail.

Great hike. Awesome lake with plenty of good campfire spots. I would definitely recommend taking the time to hike up ad over to warren lake. Even if you just chill at the top and look down at the lake. It's gorgeous! Enjoy

Great hike. Trail head is located at the Castle Peak Exit of I80 on Donner Summit. Variety of terrain, I could not figure out where the trail is from the PCT to the actual lake and ended up walking through the valley (pictured) either way it was a good one. I heard the fishing is good here but did not catch anything. I suggest checking out the Peter Grub Hut (if you take something, leave something) as well as Castle Peak if you want some great views.

This is a beautiful hike and the lake itself is gorgeous. We hiked in on a Wednesday and had the entire lake to ourselves. There are several great sites around the lake and the granite islands are a fun way to explore. We stayed 2 nights and loved every minute of it. The weather was perfect and the lake was even a bit warm.

Thought it would be good to share that there is another starting point for this trail that can shave quite a bit off of the hike. If you go to the North side of the freeway exit, and drive up the abandoned Jeep trail, you can get your hike in down to around 5.5 to 6 miles. We drove in and stopped at the trailhead for the "Hole in the Ground" trail and parked there. From that point we walked up the Jeep trail to where the PCT begins. There is a short ascent to Castle Pass here and the remainder of the trail is the same as described above.

AMAZING trip. We will definitely be back next year!