EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Palomarin Trailhead to Alamere Falls Trail

Palomarin Trailhead to Alamere Falls Trail is a 8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bolinas, CA that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

beach

From the Palomarin Trailhead Hike along the beautiful coast to Alamere Falls. Stop along the way and explore the small lakes. When you get to Bolinas take Mesa road to the end, the last 1.5 miles is graded not paved. The trail head is well marked on the right side of the parking lot (Palomarin Trailhead), begin your hike with a peak of the ocean through a grove of trees, as the trail winds to the right and back towards to coast your first full view of the ocean appears, the trail follows the coast with spectacular views of the ocean, Marin coastline and the Farallon islands (on a clear day), continue as the trail leaves the coast and winds though a forest and past Bass lake and Pelican lake (I like to call it ocean lake, as it sits just above the ocean), continue on for about a .5 mile along the coast to a sign marking Alamere Falls .4 miles, the trail is well marked and traveled, as you approach the falls the pounding surf first gets your attention, when you get to the falls which are four tiered, walk just past the top fall, cross over it and down to the other falls, beach access is on the right down a not so stable cliff, but manageable, I would not suggesting going down during high tide as the shale rock is slippery and there are sneaker waves that can take you away. A lot of people relax here and have lunch. The hike back is every bit as scenic. Enjoy!!

Easily the best hike around!! Just a heads up though, after you pass the second big lake on the left with the ocean behind it, there will be what appears to be a random trail to the left as the trail turns right and starts a fairly big descent, however it's far too groomed to just be a random one. It's extremely shaded and short in the beginning. That's the path you take to get to the falls. If you hit a 3rd bridge, you've gone too far. I made that mistake haha

Walked this trail a few days ago, it was really long and decently hard, the waterfall is extremely worth it! I loved it and definitely look forward to walking it again

rock climbing

I love this trail. I have went different months. Mostly shaded and lots of trees. Variety of scenic views, worth going to the waterfall. Get here early, the parking lot fills up about 8am.

There is a portapotty in the begginning and trees during. :)

Where comfortable shoes, it is a long walk and different pavements. Maybe an inclune or 2 but mostly flat.

To the waterfall- You have to climb down a mini cliff. Also, you have to walk through a narrow section full of poison ivoy so where something to coverup with.There are 2 waterfalls. The big on is the ine you have to climb down for. There is a mini beach that we always stop to ear, nap, then head back for the longest 2 hours every!

This was the route we chose for our newborn's first trip to the beach. Scrambling down and up the rocks to get to the beach was interesting. Overall it was a beautiful day with beautiful views!

Decent hike. I used a safer route through wildcat camp, I think 2.7 miles more. Nice hike without a crowd during weekdays. As of now(September) the water level is low for the fall. But the beach is a bonus.

Did this hike today with my husband and 2 kids, ages 12/13. We started a little past 7:30am and there were already a few cars there. The hike was beautiful. The path winds in and out through a forest and when you come out of that you see a gorgeous view of the ocean. We also passed by 2 lakes. There are times the path feels hard due to slight inclines but overall it wasn't too bad. I was a little nervous going down the cliff side but we took our time and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The waterfall was amazing to see. We had a quick snack and water before heading back. Going back up was a little tricky because you do have to watch your footing and use a little of upper body strength. Very doable as long as you take your time. As we worked our way back I was surprised to see so many people on the trail. I think because we like to hike when it's early as opposed to when the sun is at its hottest. Sad to see a lot of trash along the trail. I love that the majority of the hike was through the dark cool forest and the cool breeze was nice too. My kids were dying on the way back but once they got to relax they were glad they did it.

Great hike in a mostly rolling hills but the payoff is as good as any in the Bay Area. If you climb down to the beach be very very careful...lots of loose gravel but if you go slow it worth it...great place for lunch!

Tough hike, gorgeous view ! Will I do it again ? No, maybe ! Too many poison oak/ivy more of a difficult hike then moderate.

Absolutely love this hike! Some words of advise though, I often hear and read a lot of reviews of people saying they pass the waterfall trail and have to turn around and backtrack to to the narrow left hand trail that is sometimes marked by stones or sticks "falls" or "waterfall". I'd highly recommend to pass up that "short cut" as I like to call it and continue north after about a 1/4-1/2 miles further you come to a "Y" in the trails, one seems to lead up hill and the other down. The left is more manicured than the right but they both lead to the same place. I usually go right. They eventually lead down hill to past some camp sites and to the beach. You literally just walk onto the beach rather than descending down a mountains cliff if you were to take the "shortcut". After you reach the beach turn left and walk the shore about a mile where you will reach the falls. This way makes for a longer hike and it's way less crowed. After I soak up the beauty of the waterfall & ocean, eat a snack and usually take a little nap on the beach, I start climbing the mountain just beside the falls and start my return trip back on the "short cut".

Hit this trail early on a weekday to avoid crowds. We were the first (and only ones) on the beach for a long time. And were only joined by two other people the entire trip. Made this a very enjoyable experience. This is a long hike in and back -- but the payoff is huge at the end. Be really careful climbing down to the beach, not an easy climb down or up for anyone who isn't mobile or able to pull up their own body weight.

I've hiked this trail many times over the past 1/2 decade and it definitely gets more crowded over the years. The water also flow much less than when I first hiked this trail. Nevertheless, it's a very nice and easy/moderate trail for a day hike and takes about 3.5-4 hours round trip.

A great trail with amazing coastal views, 2 lakes, and the multi-tier waterfalls and beach waiting for you at the end. Get there early, parking fills up very quickly. The rocky scramble down to the beach may be a bit much for some but worth the climb back up.

Stunning trail! I recommend going in the spring when the falls are fuller, but we still had a great time in October. Tons of great vistas on the way. This is a top-notch day hike. There is nowhere to refill water, so being plenty with you. I would recommend about two litres, maybe more depending on the amount of sun when you go. Bring an outfit to change into after- trust me on this one. You'll be dusty and sweaty, and a fresh pair of clothes makes the ride home infinitely better. Finding the trailhead can be tricky, as locals remove signs leading into Bolinas to keep tourists out. Follow your map closely...

Such a beautiful view!!! loved it ❤️