Palomar Divide Road

Palomar Divide Road is a 25.1 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Aguanga, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for nature trips and off road driving and is accessible year-round.

25.1 miles 4819 feet Point to Point

off road driving

Started out on High Point Truck Trail and hoped to access Palomar Divide Road. Gate was closed a few miles in. Gate was also closed from the other entry point at Palomar Divide road. Call Cleveland Natl' Forest Palomar Ranger District 760-788-0250 before you attempt the trip. Beautiful scenery.

off road driving

This is an easy, but fun and beautiful drive. My wife, daughter, our dog and I made the drive a couple of weeks ago in our Land Rover DII and really enjoyed the trail. Almost the entire drive is 1 vehicle wide, shelf roads that made my 8 year old pretty nervous; its a very scenic drive with a lot of great views, we started out taking Highpoint Rd and cut into the Polomar Divide Rd and went all the way to the observatory property that was gated off. On the way down, we ran into some vehicles coming the other way once we hit paved rd, that was about the only time that we needed the clearance that we have, pulling off the side so that the other vehicles could pass. It's a good drive, but don't expect much challenge; a stock 4x4 can easily pass this trail. I would recommend 4 wheel drive, though it will likely not be needed. We'll definitely make the drive again.

off road driving

just completed this with my girlfriend and our kids no trouble at all in my Chevy Silverado 1500HD. There are a lot of good lookouts. plan on being there for a couple hours BC the trail is long and only one lane.

off road driving

Wanted to go off-roading on a rainy day with my wife and daughter. The trail is not difficult but a fun and close to home . My only negative is that about 3 miles in their is a forestry gate that is locked.

Turned around after seeing no trespassing signs at start of trail. Disappointed..

off road driving

This trail was a big waste of gas. No mud. No water. No fun. I could have took my wife's car on this trail and been fine. This should be rated as an easy trail. It was good to get off the paved road for a little bit and there were some cool lookout points at the higher elevation points but that's about all I got out of this ride. Not going again.

I love the reviews calling this trail easy. Not so easy when you have to pedal up the 12.5 miles to the first observatory. Trail is a constant climb with grades varying from 3 to 12 percent. Lots of loose shale/ rock and deep ruts that do not run parallel to the course. Overall I would take a friend and lots of water as there is none even at the top.
Great training ride for climbing and decent.

off road driving

Easy road, shorter than I thought. My son and I got to the top and had a nice lunch and did some walking around. Very nice views and lots of wildlife. Saw a few mountain bikers and hikers on the trail. Overall, if you live in the Temecula/Murrieta area and you wanna go out for a bit, this is a nice little road to enjoy.

Did this trail yesterday in my Jeep. Nothing too challenging, but if you've never been on a shelf road, or are afraid of heights, this might raise the hair on the back of your neck.

Beautiful views in all directions and going all the way to the peak is a must. Very cool spot to see. The last .3 of a mile though, you'll be on foot since no motorized traffic is allowed on that section.

It's not a place to hone your off road racing skills, since lots of others use this trail, including mountain bikers, hikers, motorcycles and of course other 4x4 vehicles. I ran into all of these on my trip yesterday. It's mostly a shelf road, so there's no passing lane. Just be mellow and enjoy the views and you'll have a great time on this trail!

My GPS track and photos can be seen from the link that accompanies my review here.

off road driving

if your gonna go on this trail ill give you a heads up dont get discoureged after about a mile of trail it turns to hard ball for a bit but it turns back to trail and gets pretty fun push all the way through the trail the end theres a lot of trails that branch off

off road driving

I was looking forward to doing some rally driving, since there's not much in the area, but getting to this trail is very bumpy, with lots of rocks in the middle of the road with which to scrape your wheels and underbody.
It was also fenced off and had a gate as we were climbing up one of the hills.
It would be great in a truck, but not a rally car. I did not get to complete the trail.