Pacific Crest Trail - section 9

Pacific Crest Trail - section 9 is a 61.8 mile out and back trail located near Rosamond, CA that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking.

We did the Desert Segment of PCT off Oak Creek Road west of Mojave, CA. There is a good parking area. After a short walk along a fence you come to an area with shade and a picnic table. This is one of the last chances to rest in the shade. The trail at this point goes west toward Tehachapi but actually ends up south near Rosamond. I cannot say how much elevation gain there is but I can say the views up there are worth the effort. There is alot of going up along side of the hills. People do ride horses on this trail so you will find yourself dodging "horse apples" now and then! There are wind turbines very close by, a stark contrast to the natural beauty. One thing that surprised me on this hike was coming across wild horses. They were wonderful! We hiked out for about 2 miles or so. I think it would be a very hot hike in the summer months so be prepared.