Otay Mountain Truck Trail

Otay Mountain Truck Trail is a 14.8 mile out and back trail located near Dulzura, CA that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Epic vistas. Loved it.

Difficult trail, not easy. It will be round trip about 15 miles depending upon where you start. There are shooting ranges everywhere, so you will hear gun shots. Pretty good cardio workout for sure, with great views.

off road driving

It was a nice off road trail, felt good to be on dirt. Lots of ways to get lost since so many trails cross one another. overall fun

Rode horses

Was on the various trails on and off Otay Truck Trails over the holiday. The weather was perfect this time of the year for long distance hiking and for steeper climbs. The view was amazing and green. Saw deer, large jack rabbits, many red tailed Hawks and coyotes, no rattlers this time of the year. And yes border patrol are always somewhere on the trails and are very forgiving if you set off one of their sensors.

off road driving

Great trail with beautiful views. Ran into Boarder Patrol a couple times they don't bother you. Nice places to stop and let the dog run around. Go into Pio Pico RV park. Go through the BROWN gate.

It was a rainy day and I needed a pretty safe trail to trek. This was the perfect trail for a rainy day. Hit the uphill, ran into Border Patrol a few times. Passed the radio tower and did a few miles running up at the top. The sky cleared a bit at the top. When the rain started again I headed back to the Pio Pico. Total distance 16 miles...time 4:10. The fog was thick but I had flashlights so oncoming traffic hopefully could see me. Great rainy day hike

off road driving

Trail closed by fire department. Try during low fire advisory season.

off road driving

Started the Otay Mountain Truck Trail at Thousand Trails campsite off of Otay Lakes Rd. We followed the trail up to the radio towers and continued east. We turned north at the following coordinates 32.61262,-116.78219, I believe it is Donahoe Spur Rd. Drove around some of the dirt trails there and then headed back the way we came to finish up back at Thousand Trails campsite. The gravel roads were easy but we managed to find some more difficult paths off of the gravel road. We found a steep rocky slide that gave the skid plates a little company but other than that there was nothing our stock jeep could not handle, but one with more clearance would handle it better. This part of the trail also had a side route to bypass it for those not up for the adventure. We traveled down the rocky slope and up the side path. The trails offered great views all along the way, we saw many Border Patrol vehicles but were not bothered by any of them. This is a great trail for beginners to start out with and get their vehicle dirty. Two wheel drive can travel a fair amount of areas out there but be smart about where you traverse, some areas you might be hard pressed to get out of without four wheel drive. I would suggest good clearance for two wheel drive vehicles because speed will be your friend in some areas.

off road driving

the directions are wrong to get to it, it took some time and some directions from the border patrol, I continued on and ended up having to cross a ditch to get on the road near the prison.

gorgeous views, would do it again.

I would change the directions...instead of the left turn onto freezer, go down 1/2 block and make a right on marron. you can also access off otay lakes road just west of the thousand trails campground.

off road driving

This was a great off road truck trail. Be aware you are right next to the border so there will be a few border patrol officers out but they generally leave you alone. This map GPS is wrong though. The actual coordinates are N 32 39 08, W 116 51 18

Easy to find. We got really confused by the given map but if you just search google for the Otay Truck Trail, you'll find loads of info!

off road driving

Very easy trail, quite a few branches from the main trail. Border Patrol has impropved the trail to make access better for their work; they are a great bunch. Great scenery, from the mountains to the ocean. Saturday was perfect you could see everything all the way to Point Loma & the Coronado Islands.

off road driving

This is a tight winding trail running through the mountians on the U.S. Mexico border. Finding the entrance was a little tough but thanks to some directions from the u.s. border patrol I found it. the views of the coastline at sunset were worth the trip alone. Note, this area is heavily patroled by the u.s. border patrol, I encountered at least 10 on the trail. But they never hasseled me at all and the two I spoke to were nice and courtious.