Ontario Ridge Trail

Ontario Ridge Trail is a 2.1 mile point-to-point trail located near San Luis Obispo, CA. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

2.1 miles 772 feet Point to Point

This trail is doubly threatened. The Sycamore Springs management threatens to tow hikers who park in the parking lot. And a Texas billionaire couple, the McArtheys, have put up barbed wire fences to keep hikers out even though their deed has a public easement on it. When the Coastal Commission ordered them to take down the fences, they complied. But now they have set a meeting with the SLO Board of Sups to rescind the trail and build another next door. Public easements are irrevocable and pressure must be put on the Sups to prevent this.

Excellent views from Ontario Ridge, serene walk thru oak forest on the way to the ridge.

Loved the hike, but the downhill part to Avila was no good. I preferred starting from Shell Beach. Really beautiful.

M

A nice challenging hike, especially if you are starting from/ near Avila beach side.
Suggestion:
-wear proper hiking shoes
- start hike early in the morning

There's a nice treat once you arrive at the top!

Some tough inclines, but it's a great work out and I love the views

Ontario Ridge Trail my #11 of 52 hikes for the ‪#‎52hikechallenge‬ ‪#‎52hikechallenge2016‬. Alltrails.com lists this trail as a moderate hike. Even though it was relatively short at 4 miles, I would have to agree. There are some very steep, long, hard inclines at the beginning and at the half way point that make this a challenge and a great workout. I took my normal hiking gear, day pack, water, 10 essentials, etc. Pack today was only about 20/25 pounds.

Also known as Dino Mountain to some of us locals! Great hike, never fails to give me a great workout. It's a butt burner. Great views.

Great trail....I started on the 101 side and soon realized that it was steeper than I realized. From the other side people say it's easier. Either way some lady ran by me with a couple of dogs which made me feel like I was a turtle. The views are spectacular! I brought my camera gear and took one of my all time favorite photo's on the trail.

Steeper than you'd think, but a great walk. Great, great view from the ridge. Path down from the ridge on the ocean side is destroying the hillside - take the road down to Sycamore or the path down to 101.

Worth the view

love this trail but beware of dangerous bicyclists, they won't stop for pedestrians. They fly by with their helmet cams for internet sensation putting hikers at risk. I yelled at several of them and they stopped for nothing. Take a video camera in case someone gets hurt to report to the police to get these bicyclists.

Love this trail, fences are gone after public out cry. Its a great exercise hike and killer ocean views. Beware of racing bikes, put a log or big rocks on trial so bicyclists don't think they own trial. This trial is for families and dogs too.

One of my favorite places, very bummed about the owner who fenced the best workout hill around, I dubbed it Cardiac Hill, this place has great views all around, few off shoot trails to make hike or trail run longer. Technical trail at times, be careful of dogs off leash. Start from Cave Landing or Mineral Springs area since old parking spot is gone.

Have been walking this trail often. It is a great work out with uphills that can leave you panting at the top (depends on the quality of shape you are in.) For a longer hike, we incorporate Sycamore Mineral Springs trail. Bring lots of water and some natural, organic bug spray. Sometimes you can get a cloud of gnats around you. Bring water and if it's sunny you might also want to bring a hat. Twilight walks are incredible.