Onion Valley Campground to Flower Lake

Onion Valley Campground to Flower Lake is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Independence, CA that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and fishing and is accessible from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from : Take Highway 395 to Independence, CA. Turn west on Market Street and follow the road 13 miles. Road ends at Onion Valley Campground.

Great first time hike. I'm hooked!

Beautiful hike - took my boys (under ten) for an overnighter. Hiked up to horseshoe and Gilbert lake and camped there. So much snow, but it was great once the sun came out.

Gilbert Lake was stunning.

Easy hike coming from Onion Valley Campground. Would suggest to check out K-Pass too!

Amazing place to camp and hike. Beautiful lakes and the campsites are clean and the host is wonderful!

Great trail, beautiful views, pretty remote - we only saw 2 people and there were only 2 other cars in the parking lot. The elevation gain was mild and the switch backs are large and not to steep. There lots of picturesque lakes to stop at, some were frozen over today. We went on the last day of March and we were blocked from getting to Heart lake by snow (if we had better gear we could have made it but we weren't prepared to trek through 2ft of snow) We saw lots of little animals, birds and chipmunks, and on the way up we saw a deer hanging out in the road.

This was my first camping/hiking experience after moving to California. I must say it was an amazing one! I only camped out for a couple of days but definitely got my fill. About 100 yards from the campsite is a small ice cold stream, which is good for soaking your feet after a long day of hiking.
The trails werent too difficult. Non-experienced hikers need not to worry. It's mostly switchbacks all the way up. There are a few small lakes to enjoy once you reach the first clearing. After that you will have to muster up some strenght to get to the next lake (which i believe is called heart lake). The rest of the trails up are pretty steep but the views from the top make all of your hard work totally worth it!
I hope i can make it back one of these days..