One Eye Creek Trail

One Eye Creek Trail is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Garden Valley, CA that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

One Eye Creek is a 5.4-mile Forest Service trail which descends 1000 feet into a canyon and ends at Rock Creek Falls. The terrain around the falls is mainly rocky and steep in some places.

Nice day hike. Quiet and peaceful with lots of fallen leaves to cushion noise. Mixed oak and conifer woodland keep the hike interesting. Moderate rating is good although the last little bit by the creek is steep but short. No bugs this late in the season. Highly recommended.

Very pretty hike. Able to take our dog with us. The trail is a bit overgrown at parts with blackberry vines and, as other review on here have noted, there are a lot of bugs. Also, be advised the hike back is much steeper than the hike in. Regardless, the waterfall at the end is more than worth it. I would recommend this trail to others.

This trail was ok as far as views the creek was nice but it was so overgrown we could not go any further so we were unable to see the waterfall. Hike back up to the top was a little strenuous but doable. Thanks to the previous reviews we were able to find it, and another reviewer was 100% correct about the bugs they were HORRIBLE!!!! I sprayed my deep woods off at least 10 times and it was not enough. I had a halo of bugs the whole time

Awesome hike..It was just me, my boyfriend and dog..coming back up from the water was very steep..a total leg work out ..took my 3 y/o pit and she did well ! This trail seemed a little longer than 6 miles.

ok. called one eye creek because there were so many mosquitoes in your face and eyes that you will probably lose an eye.
went with a 3 yo, 5 yo, 7 yo and 11 and the 3 yo (usually the best hiker) was carried all the way and the 5 yo broke down 1/4 mi into the return.
last 1+mile is steep. and a scramble to get to the waterfalls.
pretty falls and a good hike if your fit and over 20
stop by the ranger station just a little ways away-away - theyll tell you a better road and path to take than whats listed here. this route was about 8 miles and 4 hours for our crew with lunch.

1. Take Highway 193 from Highway 49 toward Georgetown, California.

2. If you are coming from Highway 50, turn right on Traverse Creek Road, or from Highway 80, turn left on Traverse Creek Road.

3. Take Bear Creek Road to the right and pass Bear Creek Picnic area on the right (although this is a good place to stop and use restrooms since there aren't any at the trailhead).

4. Continue for 0.7 miles to Forest Service Road 12N81 on the right, visible due to park signs posted. (I uploaded a photo of the Rock Creek sign) Follow this road until 3 roads converge and park. The trail is signed.

I love this trail, but keep in mind, I am not allergic to poison oak. If you are, be prepared! Another things is trail maintenance. I heard it called a "Bring your machete" hike, and so it was. I took loppers, and used them to trim the berry vines off the trail! Another thing good to know is to stop at Bear Creek Picnic Area on the way for bathroom use. I am loading a photo of the signage and the turnoff. This trail is well marked, much better than in the past.

Really nice hike, pretty steep hike going back up. But beware tons of mosictos, tons! Very peaceful, the waterfall is nice.

found it thanks to some great info in the reviews. I carried a 60 pound ruck and the the hill was pretty steep. my wife had 35 pounds. definitely wore us out! the trail is pretty and the creek is nice. the falls were awesome although we only saw them from the top - it's March and the water was really rushing. the solitude was nice too, we never saw anyone else at all. no bears either! we had to cross the creek to give a place to camp so that sucked. watch out for the poison oak it's everywhere. thick. so it was good but probably not worth the steep trail, poison oak, and lack of spots/stuff to explore at the site.

This is a hard trail to find. Follow Matt's directions and I added a couple of pictures. It is very dry and a lot of poison oak. We could not find the bigger waterfalls as the poison oak was to heavy and the trail was over grown a long the creek. The hike back out is a steep climb out that you do not notice when your walking in. Nice hike and well shaded. Happy hiking.

couldnt find. dont waste ur time.

This was not an easy hike by any means but the waterfall at the end was worth it. There was some sketchy rock climbing to get below the falls loved it

There is an easy way and a hard way to get to the falls ... Where we thought we were supposed to park to start the trail left us with quite a bit of access road to hike down ... access road we could've driven to the end of. And my husband is pretty map proficient, plus we had our GPS with us, but still had a little difficulty making sense of some of the turnoffs we were supposed to take while going down the much more difficult way. Also, we're not sure if we missed a turnoff, or if the trail that was closed across the creek from where our initial trail ended was how we were supposed to continue, but we wound up about 1/4 mile up from the falls, and when we found the falls, there was a rope for us to climb down to get to the bottom, but no way for our dog to make it down the slippery rocks. Which was a shame because there was a real nice looking sandy beach below that would've been perfect to set up our tent. Above the falls, finding somewhere to set up the tent was a little more difficult. We had to hike upstream quite a bit before we could find somewhere. The water was beautiful though, and just what was needed after the long and steep hike down. And while we didn't see anybody else, which is what we were going for since we did this hike for our anniversary, there were bears in abundance! The hike back up was pretty rough since it was such a sharp decline. But once at the top of the ravine, we found a very quick and easy way back to our car which didn't require such a long hike on an access road. We were definitely pooped by the end of the hike! It was very beautiful though, and we definitely enjoyed it! We both joked that it really is just a once a year kind of hike however! Also, FYI, double check with the park rangers when you make the trip - we didn't know until we stopped for a fire permit that during many of the summer months, there is a burn ban and the only fires allowed are ones on a propane stove ... didn't do us much good when we'd left ours at home and had a bear across the creek from us sniffing the raw meat we'd brought with us to grill over an awesome open camp fire. Oh, and there is poison ivy EVERYWHERE along this trail/overgrowing it. So be careful!

I liked the trail mainly cuz Mat said it is one that no one has heard of. I went down there in January. The temperature was 50 in the day time and dropped to about 35 at night. I uploaded a hand drawn map on how to reach the bottom of rock creek. I would rate this trail as easy to moderate (not difficult) as I took me 40 minutes to reach the bottom starting from the main trailhead and 1 hour to come back up with a 60LBS pack (and the return trip is mainly uphill). Of course there is plenty of extra walking you will do to get back to the main road. Saw no wildlife but the view of the falls was nice, this will be a great summer spot for cliff jumping into that crystal clear pool of water.