One Eye Creek Trail

One Eye Creek Trail is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Garden Valley, CA that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

One Eye Creek is a 5.4-mile Forest Service trail which descends 1000 feet into a canyon and ends at Rock Creek Falls. The terrain around the falls is mainly rocky and steep in some places.

This trail was ok as far as views the creek was nice but it was so overgrown we could not go any further so we were unable to see the waterfall. Hike back up to the top was a little strenuous but doable. Thanks to the previous reviews we were able to find it, and another reviewer was 100% correct about the bugs they were HORRIBLE!!!! I sprayed my deep woods off at least 10 times and it was not enough. I had a halo of bugs the whole time

Awesome hike..It was just me, my boyfriend and dog..coming back up from the water was very steep..a total leg work out ..took my 3 y/o pit and she did well ! This trail seemed a little longer than 6 miles.

ok. called one eye creek because there were so many mosquitoes in your face and eyes that you will probably lose an eye.
went with a 3 yo, 5 yo, 7 yo and 11 and the 3 yo (usually the best hiker) was carried all the way and the 5 yo broke down 1/4 mi into the return.
last 1+mile is steep. and a scramble to get to the waterfalls.
pretty falls and a good hike if your fit and over 20
stop by the ranger station just a little ways away-away - theyll tell you a better road and path to take than whats listed here. this route was about 8 miles and 4 hours for our crew with lunch.

1. Take Highway 193 from Highway 49 toward Georgetown, California.

2. If you are coming from Highway 50, turn right on Traverse Creek Road, or from Highway 80, turn left on Traverse Creek Road.

3. Take Bear Creek Road to the right and pass Bear Creek Picnic area on the right (although this is a good place to stop and use restrooms since there aren't any at the trailhead).

4. Continue for 0.7 miles to Forest Service Road 12N81 on the right, visible due to park signs posted. (I uploaded a photo of the Rock Creek sign) Follow this road until 3 roads converge and park. The trail is signed.

I love this trail, but keep in mind, I am not allergic to poison oak. If you are, be prepared! Another things is trail maintenance. I heard it called a "Bring your machete" hike, and so it was. I took loppers, and used them to trim the berry vines off the trail! Another thing good to know is to stop at Bear Creek Picnic Area on the way for bathroom use. I am loading a photo of the signage and the turnoff. This trail is well marked, much better than in the past.

Really nice hike, pretty steep hike going back up. But beware tons of mosictos, tons! Very peaceful, the waterfall is nice.

found it thanks to some great info in the reviews. I carried a 60 pound ruck and the the hill was pretty steep. my wife had 35 pounds. definitely wore us out! the trail is pretty and the creek is nice. the falls were awesome although we only saw them from the top - it's March and the water was really rushing. the solitude was nice too, we never saw anyone else at all. no bears either! we had to cross the creek to give a place to camp so that sucked. watch out for the poison oak it's everywhere. thick. so it was good but probably not worth the steep trail, poison oak, and lack of spots/stuff to explore at the site.

This is a hard trail to find. Follow Matt's directions and I added a couple of pictures. It is very dry and a lot of poison oak. We could not find the bigger waterfalls as the poison oak was to heavy and the trail was over grown a long the creek. The hike back out is a steep climb out that you do not notice when your walking in. Nice hike and well shaded. Happy hiking.

To clarify the directions: Follow Bear Creek Road past where it makes that 90-degree left turn at Bear Creek campground, a little ways after that you make a right onto a comparatively well-graded fire road. It comes to a 4-way intersection of more fire roads where you keep going straight, then make the first right onto a more narrow road that is overgrown with manzanita. You should eventually see a brown plastic trail marker on the right (if I remember right).
MyTopo seems to have the only overlay that shows it:
The fire road is shown as 12N81 and the right turn is next to the red "C".
The trail is the dashed line that ends at Rock Creek and Harrick's Ravine. Contrary to what it shows, the trail actually begins on the west side of the road and the road actually continues a little ways past the trailhead.

Edit: Katherine's GPX track on here looks to be right. Note that the sections of road before the 4-way intersection and after the right turn are not shown on any of the overlays on this site, only on the MyTopo one.

couldnt find. dont waste ur time.

This was not an easy hike by any means but the waterfall at the end was worth it. There was some sketchy rock climbing to get below the falls loved it

There is an easy way and a hard way to get to the falls ... Where we thought we were supposed to park to start the trail left us with quite a bit of access road to hike down ... access road we could've driven to the end of. And my husband is pretty map proficient, plus we had our GPS with us, but still had a little difficulty making sense of some of the turnoffs we were supposed to take while going down the much more difficult way. Also, we're not sure if we missed a turnoff, or if the trail that was closed across the creek from where our initial trail ended was how we were supposed to continue, but we wound up about 1/4 mile up from the falls, and when we found the falls, there was a rope for us to climb down to get to the bottom, but no way for our dog to make it down the slippery rocks. Which was a shame because there was a real nice looking sandy beach below that would've been perfect to set up our tent. Above the falls, finding somewhere to set up the tent was a little more difficult. We had to hike upstream quite a bit before we could find somewhere. The water was beautiful though, and just what was needed after the long and steep hike down. And while we didn't see anybody else, which is what we were going for since we did this hike for our anniversary, there were bears in abundance! The hike back up was pretty rough since it was such a sharp decline. But once at the top of the ravine, we found a very quick and easy way back to our car which didn't require such a long hike on an access road. We were definitely pooped by the end of the hike! It was very beautiful though, and we definitely enjoyed it! We both joked that it really is just a once a year kind of hike however! Also, FYI, double check with the park rangers when you make the trip - we didn't know until we stopped for a fire permit that during many of the summer months, there is a burn ban and the only fires allowed are ones on a propane stove ... didn't do us much good when we'd left ours at home and had a bear across the creek from us sniffing the raw meat we'd brought with us to grill over an awesome open camp fire. Oh, and there is poison ivy EVERYWHERE along this trail/overgrowing it. So be careful!

I liked the trail mainly cuz Mat said it is one that no one has heard of. I went down there in January. The temperature was 50 in the day time and dropped to about 35 at night. I uploaded a hand drawn map on how to reach the bottom of rock creek. I would rate this trail as easy to moderate (not difficult) as I took me 40 minutes to reach the bottom starting from the main trailhead and 1 hour to come back up with a 60LBS pack (and the return trip is mainly uphill). Of course there is plenty of extra walking you will do to get back to the main road. Saw no wildlife but the view of the falls was nice, this will be a great summer spot for cliff jumping into that crystal clear pool of water.

This is one of those Forest Service trails no one has ever heard of. Rock Creek Falls at the end is a fairly short and wide waterfall with a deep pool (depending on the season). The dirt road getting there is a little rough and your car will get all scratched up on the manzanita. The trail is fairly easy to follow given that nobody appears to use it. The hard part is the climb back up hill, 960 feet over about 2 miles. To get down to the bottom of the falls there's a steep section where you can use an ancient rope someone has tied to a tree to help.

I tried to update the marker on this page but it didn't stick, also, I didn't change the directions because they are from the original USFS website which is now gone. The best way to get there if you're coming from the north on 193 is to get off the highway at Traverse Creek Road and take that north to Bear Creek Road, then take that back south. If you're using a GPS it will probably tell you to get off the highway further north on Bear Creek, and take that down via Cook Ranch or something, don't do that as the road is very rough and slow. Also, Bear Creek Road does not just end like it shows on Google maps.

Also just off Traverse Creek Road is Traverse Creek Falls, on a fairly short, very overgrown user trail that follows the south side of the creek east. The trail can be hard to find, and doesn't seem to be on this site, but you can find directions elsewhere.