Old Banner Toll Road Trail

Old Banner Toll Road Trail is a 3.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Julian, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from October until June.

cave

not another soul(minus the snake and bat I saw) on the trail, which I always love.

Awesome hike and great with kids. We didn't see any residents or locals per the previous reviews. We actually went down the private drive and irked across from trail entrance. The mines are cool and we also saw a sleeping bat.. Thankfully he didn't see us. You can even see rusted out reply old cars in the canyon. It was 2.5 miles round trip from the trailhead.

****GPS DIRECTIONS ARE WRONG****. Read angel Anderson's review below for the right directions. Pretty much park in the cul de sac and to your right you will see a road with a sign that says " private road" walk down and stay on the road and a few hundred feet later on the left hand side is the banner toll road with the famous yellow sign. As long as you stay on the road/trail you are fine. Bring water and flashlights to explore the two yes two mines on the trail. One is about halfway thru on the right hand side and the second one the actual warlock mine is near the old rusted remains. Pretty cool and definitely worth the trip

I followed the tracker from the review below and could not for the life of me find the trail head. It's super sketchy and you will definitely get approached by the people who live near by because you are basically on their land. Next time I may try to use the directions a few posts down and see if it feels less invasive.

Loved this hike! If you GPS my tracker start point, you will find out where you need to park - the "directions" link is wrong.

The trail is actually really easy, just rocky. Make sure you have hiking boots or shoes and watch your footing.

We followed "Waynes Trail" down towards Banner to check out the mines. There is an arrow at the bottom to point you in the correct direction.

We only saw a few people the whole time. The locals seemed a little drunk & kooky. But nothing to be too scared of.

We did this hike today and absolutely loved it! The mines were so cool...you gotta go inside! To find them, keep an eye out for little side trails in the mountain side. They are amazing! We even saw a bat! Make sure you bring a flash light...those mines get pitch black really fast!

You have to walk down a private road and be prepared to get a little resistance from the locals. We had a hard time finding the trailhead until we read the following from another reviewer on YELP:

"To get there you'll want to follow these directions taken from Afoot and Afield: Drive 1 mile east from Julian on the 78, and turn right at Whispering Pines Road. Immediately after, make a sharp right on Banner Road, then a quick left on Woodland Road. Follow Woodland Road 0.3 mile to its end at the cul-de-sac, where you can park."

Wonderful hike! Nice to see some of the old rusted mining equipment, really nice to get away from the city and onto a barren trail, I didn't run into anyone else at all out here.

Good hike, lots of history. The wildfires in the early 2000's burned down the mine that was there which is a total bummer. It's still a cool hike with lots of historical stopping points. You can tell someone has been keeping it up with little signs and markers. I wish I had done it before the fires. I heard from friends who used to live up there the mine was really cool to go see. Along the trail, you can see a few caved in mine shaft openings. We parked right before someone's drive way which I'm not sure if that's the designated parking but there was a small pull off on the road and no one gave us trouble. Then you just follow the trail down to the mine. Be ready to hike back up to your car though :)

fun to hike and feel a little bit of history...