West Ridge and Oak Trail Loop

West Ridge and Oak Trail Loop is a 10.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near San Juan Capistrano, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Most of this trail is exposed so go early in the morning or during cooler seasons. Also part of the lower loop is closed due to deadfall.

Fun trail that did while camping on a weekend and had some great views with tall grass valleys. When we hit the end of trail my girlfriend asked if I thought we could see out camp site and sure enough we had a direct view of our favorite campsite with all of our gear (and the squires trying to steel our food). Will do this hike next time we camp here as I like camping here a lot

beautiful view, loved seeing the horse. quite a climb towrd the end but tolerable.

seen a lot of mountain lion tracks loved walking this with my girl almost got caught in the dark had to chase the sun back.

This trails starts of on the fairly level "Oak Trail" winding through oak groves, then quickly ascends to the top of the West Ridge, meeting up with the "West Ridge Trail" (which is essentially a utility access road).. Also, it's worth mentioning that these trails are located in the "Caspers Wilderness Park" campground, off the Ortega HWY.

Great hike! Lots of interesting flora & if your quiet even some deer or cool local birds. My only advice is to keep an eye out along the trail for poison oak. Just remember "leaves of three let it be" & have fun!

The trail was great with some excellent views along the ridge. Some of the trail was washed out do to the weather so we hiked around for a further hike. Some water crossing but nothing difficult. Overall a great hike.