Coast to Crest Trail at Lake Hodges

Coast to Crest Trail at Lake Hodges is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Escondido, CA that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from October until June. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great trail - super hot! Not too much shade but has a great views.

Awesome! The dogs got overheated so we had to carry them

really nice trail

This is a very fun trail and so far one of my favorites. The coast to crest trail can be linked to del dios gorge trail and santa fe valley trail. While there are a couple of technical sections on the Lake Hodges trail, but nothing overly difficult, overall this trail flows well and is very fun and is a great ride for all levels.

really nice hike.....cactus were all in bloom and trail was nice and wide. view of the lake made it very easy to hike 6 miles!

Always fun to try new trails in North County. This was a pleasant surprise. Moderate level hike is an accurate assessment. Well marked trail, nice scenery along the way, so did not get bored. Plan on hiking it again soon.

Fun! Beautiful spring flowers.

Good mountain bike trail, was easy.

Beautiful!

Nice out and back run.

pretty boring. mostly fire roads until you cross the rusted iron pedstrian bridge.

We're always looking for a good trail to do with our kids, ages 5 and 4. We were only able to do about 2.5 miles out and then back of this trail before we had to turn around. The kids especially loved the creek crossing. It's challenging in some parts, but mostly because you have to watch out for mountain bikers. Otherwise, it's a great trail. Lots of birds and scenery to enjoy. Everyone we met on the trail was very nice.

This is a good trail for folks that want to get out and go for a walk/hike. I went on New Year's Day. Downside...bikers. Not that there were a lot of them but that they didn't let you know when they were coming up from behind and many went by to close and very fast.
Note to self: if going to do this again it will be on a weekday.
Once you get back in the trail it is a visually good trail. Enjoy.

Great view, good for dogs, but the trails are very narrow and a lot of people bike here so there's a lot of chances of unsuspecting accidents. We had to move many times out of the way for speeding bikers with our two dogs. There's parts of the trail thats on a narrow ridge, so trying to make room for the bikers is very tough, especially with dogs.

Awesome loop do in the morning gets hot in afternoon

6 1/2 miles straight and straight back

I have been hiking at Lake Hodges for years. Even when there was no water in the lake! There are so many beautiful trails to choose from. They have maintained the trails very well and have even added a new bridge that has connected the rancho bernardo side to the escondido side, it has made the trails very popular! There are many entrances to the trails, from rancho bernardo there is an entrance in 4s ranch off of Alva Road, one in the westwood community on Poblado, and a couple parking lots off west bernardo drive, but I normally drive and park my car off of the 15 freeway on sunset drive because I like to hike the Bernardo Mountain. Its a long hike about 8.5 miles round trip. Its a great woork out. My dog loves it, and she has fun in the little creek that you have to cross. The view from the top is great over looking the lake and surrounding neighborhoods. The trail is very popular with mountain bikers and other hikers on the weekends but during the week it is pretty mellow. If you do not want to climb a mountain instead of turning right off the trail you can continue straight and the trail will take you all the way to the Lake Hodges dock or keep going to del dios highway. Awesome trail love Lake Hodges :)

This was my first time MTB riding this trail today and was STOKED! Had a fantastic experience and would highly recommend for novice-to-intermediate riders. Some climbing but not too much. Some technical, particularly on the downhill, but not too much. Very accessible but still felt like I was riding in the middle of nowhere. I have read that this trail can get very crowded at times; however I rode on a Sunday afternoon in early November and passed few others along the way. Beautiful, vast and rugged terrain made for some great pics. I made it from Sunset over to the main parking lot at the Lake on the other side for a solid workout. I'm Looking forward to exploring further as I was told the trail runs almost to Rancho Santa Fe. Bring plenty of water as it gets VERY HOT in the afternoon. Will definitely be heading back soon for more MTB or maybe trail running!

We took a different trail this time and went up to the top of Bernardo Mountain Summit Trail. It takes a hour and 20 minutes from the our car (which we parked at the trailhead of the Bernardo Nature Trail Parking Lot). It was a gorgeous day, perfect weather and panoramic views from the top. Definitely well worth the hike up. I would do this again and again.