North Fortuna via Rolling Hills

North Fortuna via Rolling Hills is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near San Diego, CA and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, road biking, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great hike!

I've hiked, ran and mountain biked this trail both ways and it offers a greater challenge than any of the trails in the Five Peak Challenge. It's great training that makes me stronger but the loose sections up and down on the perimeter trail require patience and technique. It's work.

a

We went up the steep part and hit both peaks instead of making a loop.

great trail, approximately 5.7 miles round trip, pack water as some of those climbs will get you sweating like crazy. definitely worth checking out.

excellent hard hike that has potential to become longer due to unclear signs. a must do

This trail is very confusing and the signs are not well marked.

Trails were a bit confusing. View was great from the summit. Trail gets fairly steep towards the top of the summit.

Trail can be a bit confusing to follow at first. Rather easy until you come to the very steep incline towards the top. I'm actually pretty sure I took the hardest way up..oops. Made for a nice challenge though. View at the top was pretty but not breathtaking like I'd hoped.

It was a great hike up to north fortuna. Initially we thought we were hiking up to south fortuna but apparently went a mountain over and decided to go to north fortuna. I have hiked cowles many times and was expecting a similar challenge. This was more challenging and longer but a great trail and view of mission trails regional park which is a hidden gem of San Diego. Very empty trails and I like it that way. Cowles seems like an ant farm at all times so it's good to discover new good hikes that aren't so popular. Will def be coming back!

This was a nice long hike, not to vigorous but I like the challenge. A little confusing at first, but I fgured it out the 2nd time around. Once at the top you have some amazing views. Great way to spend an early Saturday morning :)

We hiked the Fortuna Mountain Trail from Clairemont Mesa Blvd. The trail is 6+ mile loop that takes you to the summit of North and South Fortuna Mountains. I would rate the loop as moderate to difficult. We went counter-clockwise starting with South Fortuna. South Fortuna was a very scenic hike and the stairway to heaven was difficult and challenging as expected. The hike from South Fortuna to North Fortuna was moderate. We encountered a couple of rattlesnakes between South and North Fortuna and they blend in with the trail ... yikes! The view from the summit of North Fortuna was spectacular. At the summit, they have a couple of ammo boxes full of notes and thought left by fellow hikers. This was our favorite hike in Mission Trails Regional park.

This is my favorite route for bagging the fortunas. It's is by far not the easiest but I
Feel it's the most scenic an rewarding. Take the grassland/oak canyon trails past the most commonly used saddle to the "rolling hills" along the 52. The trail will lead to the backside of north fortuna. One can either keep going to
Connect to south fortuna or head back down. Finish all 5 peaks in one hike for the real 5 peaks challenge experience!!

This trail was closest to the route I took. Rather than going in the loop, I started at the Old Mission Dam, followed the Oak Canyon Trail, connected to Fortuna Saddle Trail, up to the Fortuna Saddle, and turned north to the North Fortuna Peak. Then I backtracked to the saddle, continued south to the South Fortuna Peak, and returned to my car from the way I came from. This allowed me to visit two of the peaks in the 5-Peak Challenge in one short trip, approx. 2 hrs. For more information on the 5-Peak Challenge hosted by Mission Trails Regional Park visit http://www.mtrp.org/five_peaks. I also find the map from the park is a bit easier to use for the purpose of the challenge: http://www.mtrp.org/aaapopups/trail_maps/print_map.asp and http://www.mtrp.org/uploads/news_pdfs/63bb11d7d5f82488a098a6679eff4fde_5PeakChallenge_Map_3.pdf

Yesterday, I Double Peaked this hike for 8x's via saddleback from South Fortuna starting from the Clairemont Mesa Trailhead and making this the last peak of the 5-Peak Challenge. This is a great 6.5 mile RT hike from the bridge. Once at the peak, sign the official peak log to endorse your trek!

Nice steep hike