Newton Canyon Trail

Newton Canyon Trail is a 9.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Malibu, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

this trail was an excellent trail it had everything and more. I would say it is a five star but it wasn't map out well and or was not signed well. so I know I just hiked several different trails. I still recommend it to all hikers and walkers.

Nice hike overall, plenty of shade so it's not too bad on a hot day. Views of vineyards, the ocean and waterfalls assuming there is water flow.

Starts very steep as you leave the main parking lot and head up and over Kaanan. Then a series of up and down sections - couldn't help but to wish I was on my mountain bike!

I definitely recommend - enjoy!

With the lack of rain, the waterfall currently is a disappointing trickle. The hike itself is enjoyable along the main trail, Backbone. There are a lot of off-trail points and some unmarked trails. The off-trail to get to the waterfall is an adventure. Lots of boulder and rock climbing as you make your way through the dry riverbed. Didn't have to pay for parking in the overflow lot.

Just hiked this today. It's a good workout going in but there was no water. I will have to re-review next year after the rains. not too exciting. We didn't go in and play around at the falls either since it was so dry. I have been here once before at the lower falls years ago with water. I remember it being kind of eerie and cool. So far I would say god workout but not to exciting.
Oh, if you are looking for the trail to the falls the trampled grass is on your right just past a bend about 2.25 miles in. If you come to the backbone and Zuma Ridge trail, you've gone too far.
The directions on the link are really good, as well as the slide show to find your way.
TBC