Old Zoo Trail

Old Zoo Trail is a 7 mile loop trail located near Los Angeles, CA and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible from August until October.

The old zoo was fantastic ! We had a surprise in one of our pictures around 9 pm.... A face appeared in a picture that we took!! Also up above the enclosures there is a lone cage... Something bad must have happened there because just in that area... The temperature dropped and the hairs on my neck and arms were on edge... I also had the sensation of spider webs brushing across my face... There was no trees in that area for spider webs... I've often heard that spider web sensation with out actual spider webs are usually an indication that there is a spirit around you or touching you.... That was the grand finally after being stalked in the mountains buy what sounded to me Like a big cat... The growls were very prominent.

The trail can be as long or as short as you want it to be, as easy or strenuous as you want it to be. However, the pay off is high. I have been on so many trails, and this one is definitely in the top three. The animal cages would not be the same, or near is neat, if it didn't have all of the graffiti. Great place to take pictures; minus the smell.

This is a fairly easy hike. It does not have much of an incline and what incline there is, is quite gradual. We parked over in the parking lot by the carousel and the golf clubhouse. There is a trailhead that starts there and takes you to the park where the old zoo is located. From there you can continue on the trail. We stopped taking this trail and head up to bee point. It looked more interesting then the rest of the old zoo trail. The old zoo itself is quite small and has been turned into a park. This hike would be a good hike for children. There is an actual park with grass for them to run around on. Also, they can explore some of the old exhibits. Bee point was pretty cool. Worth the trek up. The trail was a bit steep at points. Heading up to bee point, I would say is a moderate level hike for most casual hikers. It was overcast so the views were so so. But on a clear day, it would offer some excellent views of the valley. Happy trekking!

This is a nice leisure hike for beginners. It's about 2.5 miles with very little incline. It's a paved road. Good places to take pics and even pack a lunch.

Go to Griffith Park via Crystal Springs Drive. Look for the signs where it says Carousel parking. Right above the parking lot you see the the trail. To get to the Zoo, take the trail on the right or that looks straight. And stay towards the right. When you walk around the top of the trail he will start to see the cages and enclosements. Some of the structures have cool graffiti, so don't be afraid to climb, walk, or go inside them.

The end of the trail leaves you at the Bear enclosures, which is on the way toward the left of the parking. So you can decide to park closer to the end of the trail. and be closer to your car when your done. Or just walk back to your car across the parking lot.

nice trail. enjoyed the hill sections and the old LA Zoo area.

It was a great mountain trail, great views all through out the trail, very good for running except this app doesn't put you exactly where you have to start, you'll need to find it on your own with a little exploration skills.

It's wide and easy hike up and down.

Have gone on this hike several times. Very sad what the animals went through, but an awesome place now to explore. Always enjoy this hike.

This app didn't take us right to were we needed to be. We asked a few people on exactly where to go because we up to see the old zoo. Once we started it was great! My friend and I went and we brought our boys who are 11. They had fun and you could spend hours here going on all different trails. Next time I'll do a little more research on exactly where to go for the trails. This was my first time using the app to get my to a trail. We'll be back to explore some more.

it was a bit difficult but it was a good experience and draining.

loved the hike from town travel to the zoo! zoo itself was little disappointing but it's definitely worth coming at least once :)

We ended up walking through a lot of horse droppings so that wasn't pleasant. But walking through the zoo was fun. Not sure I would hike it again, though.

It was beautiful and so many hike trails you can take parking was not difficult to find .

Was great beautiful ❤️

love the scenery, first time here yesterday, we got lost trying to find the trail its self, to be exact is near the mary go round, we had to stop and ask some rangers for directions because there are many different trails in this park, people are nice, the trial its self is a little challenging if you are new to hiking I wouldn't recommend to begin with this trail, but its a must to complete.

Holy crap! The old Zoo was so crowded on Saturday... We ended up retreating up into the hills and hiked to the Griffith observatory instead.