Museum Trail

Museum Trail is a 1.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Palm Springs, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from October until December.

From Ramon Road head west, right on S. Indian Ave., left on E. Tahquits Canyon Way, right on N. Museum Dr.

Did it as part of C2C in the dark. Very well maintained and well marked trail with nice views of Palm Springs.

love this trail been doing it for a long time now. it's a nice little get away and a nice view of Palm Springs in the morning or evening

Trail excellent for a good workout. I was lucky enough to do it on a late September day when it rained. Cloudy and cool (for the desert) when I started the hike behind the museum. The usual Palm Springs vegetation, but outstanding views of the Coachella Valley below. Hey, please no more construction. I thought Palm Springs desires a "village" atmosphere. Steep uphill climb to the picnic tables. I had to stop often to catch my breath. On my decent the rain fall much harder and I was able to witness the brown / yellow desert turn green right before my eyes. I started early at 6:00 am and come across a few locals who use the trail for exercise. This was my first desert hike were I didn't use my sunglasses, suntan lotion, and hat (of course I had these items in my bag). This was my second time on this trail and I will return again in the future.

The trail starts in the back corner of the museum parking lot. It is about 1.2 miles up the easy way and a little less the harder route. The elevation gain is about 1,350 feet. The trail ends at the picnic tables where you can join other trails. There are several great views of the valley on the trail.

Great views! Well marked and an awesome short hike.

I came across this trail because it was the view from my hotel room. Trail is challenging as there are lots of rocky only areas. One you reach the top there a few picnic tables where a nice snack can be enjoyed. Be sure and understand following the "white dots" as there are parts where its misguiding. The dots are simply paining on rocks along the way to help guide you. I will definitely make a little morning trip and hike this trail again.

Great trail from downtown PS. Park in the museum parking lot. Read the reviews first as knowing about the white painted dots is a huge help. We did this with 4 kids (1.5 on my back in a carrier, 3.5, 6, 8), and they loved it. I think they felt like they were rock climbing because it is quite rocky.
The 3.5 yr old needed hand holding and help on the way down as he just didn't want his feet and lots of rocks. I, personally, wouldn't want to do this hike in the hot months as I am terrified of snakes and critters, and with all the rocks, i'd think there would be lots of them about but felt safer in December doing it as I knew most were hibernating! But that's me being a wimp:)
We did this Dec 26th, 2015. Felt much more than 550 feet elevation gain, but may have been because it goes up switchbacks all the way to the top!

Winter hije

WARNING: This is an extreme trail with steep inclines and no shade. But it was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. Expect to be on the trail for at least 8 hours. Bring at least 2 gallons of water per person. Start your hike early. And don't hike this trail alone. Cell service is spotty and I didn't see anyone on the trail my entire day of hiking. This is a great trail, but be overly prepared before setting out.

Nice morning hike with great view, central

Great local PS trail for a quick technical work out and a great view. Lots of rocks and quick steep steps. Most folks go up to the picnic tables and back. Route finding can be crazy because the local hillside is spider webbed by little short side trails. The main trail is marked by "painted" white dots on the rocks. This is one of the first trails I experienced when I first started visiting PS. As much time has passed, it is a little tough on the knees as I get older.