Murphy Ranch Trail

Murphy Ranch Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pacific Palisades, CA that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and walking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A moderate hike out to the remains of a Nazi camp. In the 1930s Nazi sympathizers built a refuge in the Pacific Palisades. Herr Schmidt, Winona and Norman Stephens, and their followers occupied a self-contained stronghold in what is now Rustic Canyon between Sullivan Ridge and Will Rodgers State Park. Murphy Ranch was designed to serve as a hold out for fans of the Third Reich waiting for America to fall to the Nazis. Instead, the ranch was raided by U.S. authorities and closed in 1941. The abandoned buildings were transformed into an artists colony in the 60s and 70s, but were abandoned after the Mandeville Canyon Fire in 1978. Today the grounds of Murphy Ranch are uninhabited, dilapidated, covered in graffiti, and open to hikers. While much of the history is lost, several structures remain, along with long cement staircases that still link Murphy Ranch to Sullivan Ridge Fire Road, providing a 3.85-mile hike with 325 feet of elevation gain.

so tired. lots of steps

It's pretty much a road trail with several connected dirt trails. The dirty trails are the fun ones. Going on them you will find several dilapidated structures that were supposed to be from an old nazi camp. They are all full of graffiti, but they make for some nice pictures. I want able to find the "famous" steps until I was on my way back. There are two sets: long and longer. The longer one is said to be 530 steps (I lost track). They are a great leg workout. All in all, I say this is an easy hike. It is worth checking out though.

This was absolutely amazing! I'm a beginner when it comes to hiking and this trail really pushed me and I loved it. Great cardio workout, and lots of uphill. I was able to see all of the graffiti sites and did some research about it before I came and I thought they were absolutely remarkable! I will definitely be coming back.

What a great walk and enjoyed exploring the beautiful ruins although in those days built for some negative reasons a wonderful sight to see I will return for more to explore on this hike

I really loved this trail/fire road. once I found a place to park, I headed up the fire trail. I decided to descend the 1st set of stairs. at the bottom I went right where I saw the fireplace and bath tub. there were lots of little trails that ran off the fire road. being as I was alone, I chose to stay on the main path. I saw a few water towers with beautiful graffiti. I didn't find much else. hope there is more still. I want to go back.
the views are breathtaking. the hike appears to be moderate because of the fire road. however, you are traveling uphill the majority of the way. the stairs make for a great work out. beware, they are steep and not deep. there is no railing and they are covered with pine needles. make sure you get your footing so you don't slide.

*side note. no restrooms but plenty of places to go if needed.

This is an extraordinary, beautiful hike that is moderately challenging.

Training for the US bank building stair climb and this place rocks for that. Two sets of stairs, both steep and long. Highly recommended for stair climbing training as you can do each set of stairs a couple of times and loop around for a nice workout.

I absolutely loved this hike! I can't believe I hadn't gone sooner. If you haven't been, I suggest going ASAP as they plan to demolish this site and no one really knows when. My friend took her kids (7&8) and we all had a ton of fun. Pictures came out beautiful and there are plenty of places to explore. If you follow the map I posted, you will come across the barn, chimney, 2 water towers (one is behind the powerhouse), the powerhouse, the garden and you will go up the evil stairs. You really do feel amazing when finishing the stairs! You do not need an adventure pass for this hike, but I suggest going early as it gets very crowded at later times. We got there at 7:30am and there was plenty of parking on Casale and Umeo. Happy trails!!

There was a lot of things to look out which was good, but this was no loop. We followed the map and the path just stopped. We had to turn and go back. We also saw a dog that was NOT a dog, so watch out for whatever animal that was.