Murphy Ranch Trail

Murphy Ranch Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pacific Palisades, California that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and walking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A moderate hike out to the remains of a Nazi camp. In the 1930s Nazi sympathizers built a refuge in the Pacific Palisades. Herr Schmidt, Winona and Norman Stephens, and their followers occupied a self-contained stronghold in what is now Rustic Canyon between Sullivan Ridge and Will Rodgers State Park. Murphy Ranch was designed to serve as a hold out for fans of the Third Reich waiting for America to fall to the Nazis. Instead, the ranch was raided by U.S. authorities and closed in 1941. The abandoned buildings were transformed into an artists colony in the 60s and 70s, but were abandoned after the Mandeville Canyon Fire in 1978. Today the grounds of Murphy Ranch are uninhabited, dilapidated, covered in graffiti, and open to hikers. While much of the history is lost, several structures remain, along with long cement staircases that still link Murphy Ranch to Sullivan Ridge Fire Road, providing a 3.85-mile hike with 325 feet of elevation gain.

I didnt go up or down any stairs. At the begining of the trail before you reach the first stairs there are two trail posts you can walk through and youll see a narrow path going down the mountain. I went this way to avoid people. it takes you past two additional buildings/sheds and also keeps you out of the sun. this path leads right to the bottom of the stairs and the primary building. then you can just keep on the trail and it will go past the last fenced off building before starting to wind back up the mountain.

Hey, I've been here a couple of times and I still haven't seen the car wreckage. Does anyone know where I can find it?

What I loved about this trail is the many, many, MANY off-road paths. There's super long stairs, a car wreckage U can climb down to, all kinds of graffiti sites, tiny steps down to a bridge of some kind... It seems endless. Every time we thought we were on our way home, we found another little trail that went off-road and made us feel like real adventurers. And I swear we heard water streaming down below at one point. I want to get to that water next time. If there is any.

A group of 4 adventurous explorers went on a journey to explore the remnants of the Murphy Ranch Trail.

Something I didn't read in any of the reviews was how long you were going to be there. So give yourself a few hours to truly explore the compound.

Google maps takes you right to the corner of Capri Drive and Casale Road.
Parking is limited as this is a residential area. Park at the intersection on the right side.

At Capri Drive and Casale Road, walk left (on Casale Rd) through the residential area until you get to a yellow gate. That's the trail head begins. Don't take the stairs right by the yellow gate. Keeping hiking about a 1/4 mile and you'll see the gate entrance on the left to the 500+ stairwell.

The Stairs are no Joke. different sizes. some narrow, some normal, some slanted. So watch your footing. This hike is also okay for regular sneakers. Not to many places here require traction.

It's Definitely a must see before they completely demolish the structures. Bring plenty of water. And on a side note. The trail itself is easy. But I felt like dying when coming Back up those stairs.

Good Luck

Great hike nice view and also a nice place for night hiking.

This really was a great hike. my legs were shaking after all those steps but definitely worth it. the first mile is straight up hill.

so tired. lots of steps