La Jolla Canyon Loop Trail

La Jolla Canyon Loop Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Malibu, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

beach

Spectacular ocean views, lovely rolling valley, inspiring peak, little pond The trail starts out along the relatively easy La Jolla Canyon, moving through a little canyon carved by the stream running down the canyon. After about a mile and a half, rolling hills and grasslands of La Jolla Valley will spread out before you. You will see a lovely pond on you left, then will head west across the entire expanse of the valley. During the spring, this valley covered with wildflowers. At about the 4 mile mark, the trail begins to swing around the north flank of mugu peak, eventually traversing along the steep hillside facing the ocean. This is a breathtaking section of trail with wonderful views of the ocean and the Navy base. At about 6 miles you will find a cutoff trail that take you up to the top of the 1266 foot Mugu peak. There are great views of both the ocean and La Jolla Valley, and even an inspiring American flag flying. After enjoying the peak, rejoin the main trail for an easy 2 mile trek back to the car.

Love this trail.

There's a sign at the entrance of the trail (posted January of 2015) that says a 1.14 mile section of this hike has been deemed "too dangerous" and has been closed. I ended up taking another trail. I couldn't tell how this would affect the loop.

No biking

Is a nice trail, great view!

Checked this trail head out today. Trail head is clearly marked No Dogs! Not a good sign to see when you have a dog in the back seat, ready to hike.

The trail is closed for the last couple of miles. I had to turn around making this an 18 mile hike. The views were nice some of the way but a lot of it was just fire roads.

It was tough but worth if

It was tough but doable.

Not easy but well worth the effort. One of the most spectacular views ever

I did this hike by myself one morning. It was an easy hike, although careful with mosquitos. It's a nice, isolated trail. You can take the Ray Miller trail on the way back, although the rock is loose due to erosion from the wildfires.

I did this hike last year with about 15 folks from my church and it was great. This weekend my family and I did the Ray Millet trail first, connected to the overlook Fire road trail and then to the la jolla loop to find that it's closed off after the pond. It was disappointing to not see any notices of the closed trail until we were almost at the end of our extended hike. We had to back track almost 5 hours back the way we came. It was a lesson learned to be prepared for the unexpected. So to all who read this the La Jolla trail is closed.

Great hike for a morning or afternoon. There is a pretty steep trail going up the mountain. Once you are up there you get rewarded with stunning scenery and landscape. Make sure you hike the plateau as well (Valley loop trail). We had it all to ourselves. You get to experience nature at its best. The smell of the wildflowers and sounds of the birds, in addition to the landscape make for a very enjoyable hike. Be careful going downhill since it is mostly sand and can be slippery in spots. I went with my wife and a 15 year old boy and girl. We all liked it.

Very interesting trail to run and hike. This loop is used as the 11K course of the Xterra Point Mugu race. The start going either direction, about a mile, is fairly steep with the middle section rolling. The side that is close to the ocean can be covered in fog or low clouds, but by the time you are a mile inland, or high enough, it's blue skies above and the sun very strong. Quite enjoyable and challenging but can be done by those new to trail running.

Such a beautiful area and a great hike. Challenging enough to be able to call it a workout but not so much so you can't enjoy a good conversation. Not overly crowded and plenty of solitude.

I hiked up here from the chumash TH on PCH and did a loop through the la jolla plateau. It was SUPER windy up in the flats which I was not expecting. Top that off with recently toasted vegetation and it was a strange hike. Should be getting better as time passes (as these things do) but don't expect a fully populated area up here.

My husband and I are new hikers, this is our 3rd hike after two 3 mile jaunts. It was moderately difficult, there were portions that were steep enough to take frequent breaks (if only because the elevation change catches your breath) and the .3 up to the flag and sign in area is pretty much straight up. It was worth it though for the view up at the top. We started the hike at the Ray Miller Trailhead and ended at the Naval Base, the only problem is walking back to your car is along Pacific Coast Highway and the jarring change from quiet clean air to cars is a little rough. Other than that I think we were both feeling really accomplished and proud of ourselves. I would say make sure you have water and a hat on as there is not much shade.**Also make sure to take a pen if you want to sign the Sierra Log! There was nothing to write with at the top!**

Hiked this as a quick afternoon hike from the Chumash Trailhead. It was ~4.5 miles with just over 1000' elevation gain. The first mile is brutal...I then took a right at the top for the more gradual incline up to the peak. There's a flag and a sierra club log at the top with spectactular views of the mountains, the navy base and of course the ocean and channel islands from most of the trail. Often foggy down here.

Beautiful. The recent fire made it particularly atmospheric. Lovely views of the ocean and some nice scrambling opportunities if you go off the trail a bit. Good hike uphill without being too strenuous. Highly recommend.