EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Mt. Wilson via Chantry Flats

Sierra Madre, California
Mt. Wilson via Chantry Flats is a 12.7 mile loop trail located near Sierra Madre, CA that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, trail running, birding, and backpacking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A strenuous day hike through a beautiful section of the San Gabriel mountains with a 50 ft. waterfall. Standing prominently above Pasadena, Mount Wilson is a Southern California landmark. The 5,710 foot summit is home for an observatory responsible for the most detailed photos of Mars as well a vast array of antennae for local LA radio and television stations. While the summit is steeped in astronomical wonder and tremendous views of Los Angeles, the trails are the real beauty of this hike. There are several trails you can take to the top of Mt. Wilson, but this challenging 13 mile loop is the most beautiful. It starts at the Chantry Flats trailhead above Arcadia, and includes a one mile detour to view the beautiful Sturtevant Falls before climbing 4,200' to the top of Mt. Wilson. This is the first of six southern California summits in the 6-Pack of Peaks bundle. Done in sequence, they provide great training anyone preparing for bigger hikes such as Mt. Whitney or Half Dome. Each hike in the 6-Pack is progressively higher in altitude, and all have respectable distance and vertical elevation gain.

Good trail although it can be a little confusing coming down the Winter Creek side, following the fire break. Someone has marked the correct way with chalk. I don't know how long it will last though.
On a lighter note, I almost died three times! Coming down from Mount Wilson, we ran into a juvenile rattlesnake spread out across the trail. Luckily it slithered away as we came upon it. Halfway down, before we got to Winter Creek, we saw a mountain lion cub running down the trail about hundred feet ahead of us. It disappeared around the corner and we never saw mama but I started talking to myself and whistling loudly. Finally about 2 miles from the trailhead we were walking along and heard a noise. I couldn't figure out what it was but finally I looked up and saw the trees were moving. It turned out, just past call box 4, a big 50 foot tree fell down and broke across the trail. It knocked down the telephone wire for about a quarter-mile.
Fun hike and I didn't really see anybody all day long maybe four people? A good challenge for my dog, and Australian Shepherd mix.