EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Mount Tallac Trail

Mount Tallac Trail is a 8.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near South Lake Tahoe, CA that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

snowboarding

The jewel in the crown of mountains which ring Lake Tahoe, Mt. Tallac promises unparalleled views from its summit 9,735ft above sea level. Unparalleled vistas await the Tahoe hiker on a memorable journey to the lake's tallest peak. This route takes you to the top via the most direct summer route through lush forest, along scenic ridgelines, past small alpine lakes and across blazingly colorful wildflower strewn high-altitude meadows. Sure the 3,500ft elevation gain is greater than you might experience on most day hikes, but both the journey and the destination are worth every single thigh-burning step.

The hike has a lot of variety for scenery woods, meadows, boulders, and cliffs. Of course you get a great view of Lake Tahoe but what is unique is the view to the SouthWest of all the lakes around Aloha Lake. What I disliked is the quality of the trail, most of the trail is not dirt but rocks the size of apples and cantelopes. So, you need to watch your step constantly!

Strenuous. Wanted to give up several times but once I reached the summit I was happy I did it. Take plenty of water and snacks.

Fantastic hike, a true test of endurance. Definitely bring 3 litres of water and snacks to replenish along the way. Only down fall to this trail is the massive amounts of people on it. Views were unexplainable!

This was my first difficult trail, and my first long hike, so I was not strong enough to make the summit. I stopped about 6/7ths of the way there and was encouraged by many friendly hikers to keep going which made it a lot of fun and had a community kind of feel to it. My legs were shaking and I knew getting down would be as long so I wanted to leave a bit of energy to get myself home to Sacramento.
Having said that i want to encourage anyone who is not in their best shape because I absolutely loved the hike! It is on par with Alpine treks I did in childhood.
You do not need to "complete" it to enjoy the stunning experience that each new vista holds. And there is a giddy feeling among your fellow hikers that makes it enjoyable.
But do keep in mind, going down is as tough on your thighs, so do leave a bit of water and snacks for that half of the trip. I went through 2 liters, and many snacks and was happy to have a sun hat and good sunglasses. Above the tree line, there's little shade, and as someone else noted- lots of bees.
One tip: take off your shoes and cool your feet in a pond before getting to the bottom and into your car. My feet were singing in the cool water.
Absolutely fantastic!

let's just say it is not easy. but worth every ounce of energy that you spent to get to the top.

Great hike. Picked a perfect day, nice and sunny, but not too hot. Start early or it really heats up when you get above the tree line. We hiked with 3 liters of water and had it been hotter, we would have needed every drop. Chose to have lunch before the peak as the chipmunks and yellow jackets wanted to share it with us. It was a good call. Beautiful views from the top and the trail was very easy to follow. Only complaint would be the amount of people that were out there. Would be a great decision to hike on a weekday. The weekend is very busy. Great hike!

My Fitbit tracked this as an 11 mile hike in and out (11.3 if you count the walk back to the car), and it was quite the trek up to the top! However, the view from the top made the up hill climb well worth it! Bring plenty of water, you'll definitely need it.

Hiked the trails last weekend. My Watch showed 5.1 miles one way. Probably the most beautiful and toughest hikes I have ever done but the view from the top is worth every step. The trail from cathedral lake to the summit made me feel like quitting so many times but the views kept me going (and am glad for it). Take at least 2L of water, between my wife I and if we used up around 5L. We packed a sandwich for the summit and carried trail mix for the road. Other than yellow jackets you may also find squirrels at the top trying to be friendly with you for food.

great views along the trail! only downside was too many people!

Great hikes with spectacular lake views on top.

Great trail. It was tough but worth it especially when you're at the top and can see all the lakes.

Great trail!

This is only 8.5 miles but it feels much longer. It's a steep trail and very rocky which makes the ascent slower than one would expect. Views are incredible! We even saw a bear swimming in one of the ponds.

Wow. This is a serious hike but it cannot be missed! Its the hike of hikes around Lake Tahoe, simply for the absolutely gorgeous terrain, multiple lake discoveries, as well as an iconic view. 32 and in great shape, this trail was difficult for me at the end. Going up, you get to a very rocky trail, that criss-crosses up the mountain, revealing a stunning view behind Mt Tallac. So many bees, but not one sting. Keep your food sealed up and when you eat, eat it quickly. From there you still have a ways to go, but by the time you've made it halfway to the top from that point, you just need to remember that the view is indescribable, just no words on how to describe its beauty. Plan on hanging there for a while, and plan on making friends with very curious (and hungry) chipmunks. They're not stupid, they know how to work you for your granola bar. On the way down, that's where the real work comes in, because it's hard on your ankles and knees, and reaching the trailhead feels almost as amazing as reaching the summit. All in all - if you think you can do this hike, then do it, do not miss out on this one in a lifetime quality view. It's worth the soreness tomorrow.

Beautiful hike.

Missing on Sept 8:
Sony DSC-RX100M3 with Sony Leather Case. Last sighted (placed on a rock) on the trail past Cathedral Lake. However, further into my descent it was no longer sighted and I could not find it.
My hope is that someone took it in hopes to find its owner. Please contact me if found clemis.ayla@gmail.com
Aside from that, it was a very rewarding trail. The lakes were beautiful and the view from the top was exquisite. I was only in Tahoe for that day and I am happy I chose this day hike. I brought 3L of water and had some to spare when I returned to the trailhead. Took as swim at Kiva Beach after to cool off and distress. Haha.

It was amazing! Some steep spots and light snow on the ground in late May but it was worth it!