EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Mount Shasta Trail

Mount Shasta Trail is a 10.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Shasta, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until September.

rock climbing

skiing

Via Avalanche Gulch with optional ski descent An epic two day ascent of a 14,000ft California Volcano. This is the standard route up from Bunny Flats with an overnight at the campsites near Lake Helen. From there you ascend up the face and then through Red Banks to Misery Hill (the crappy false summit) and then to the true summit with a return via a ski descent either left or right of "the heart". I highly suggest doing this trip as a two day climb to get used to the altitude. It's a big one!

Train your face off! I once climbed via Avalanche Gulch using crampons and axe. This was far preferable over my second trip in the late Summer, climbing via Clear Creek. We never hit snow, so the crampons and axe were just extra weight in my pack. The loose skree/sand/gravel made for the ol' one step up-half step back climb. It was kinda miserable.

Great climb, technical

We set off to conquer the summit in mid june. Apparently the best month to have a successful summit. Surprisingly the weather Gods were not in our favor. The night before we got dumped 15+ inches of snow. Warm weather with fresh snow created perfect conditions for avalanches. We were lucky enough to see multiple ones. Considering the danger, all guides, from all companies, decided to not attempt the summit. All in all we concluded that the beauty and energy of the place were all that mattered. In the end this is why we go up mountains. The journey is the destination has never rung so true.

Very hard. But so beautiful. Made it to the red banks but the winds were too high to go further. Check the wind at the summit before you go.

Great

Super challenging.
One time experience.
NOT sure if I want to do it again.

It was awesome! Didn't make the top due to lots of snow fall (attempted spring break of 2014) but will try again some day soon :).

Reached Shasta summit in June of 2014. Alltrails did not successfully track. Day camped by Bunny Flat trailhead but wasn't able to nap due to excitement and started hiking by 9pm. Snow had melted mostly before Horse Camp. A snow covered short detour along the gulch was gone after snow melted in less than a month. Hiking up Avalanche Gulch required crampons. Reached Lake Helen by midnight where most the campers were still asleep. Moonlight assisted the path up toward the Red Banks but as soon as moon set, a mislead "The Heart" to the left hit a dead end chute. It was 2am when a string of lights began from camp Lake Helen. The snow climb hit 45-50 degrees with need of ice axe. Series of up climb passing Misery Hill only to find out more climbing ahead to an uninteresting rock tip to the summit. Descending was all about glissading but glad did not have to backpack up in the first place. Had meal at Black Bear Diner, which is the first, right in Mt. Shasta.

Late into summer and Clear Creek or Mt. Shasta has no snow - barring the hard ice near the summit. We took the Clear Creek trail after being informed that the Hotlum - Bolam glacier route was closed due to icy conditions and the crevasses had opened up. There were rock falls too. Well our choice was scree or no climb. We climbed and it was fun. We started early for our summit attempt around 7:45 PM and after some nice and easy rests made it to the summit earlier than sunrise. The way down on scree was fun, scary and tiring. The team was back down well ahead and I ambled my way down. I definitely recommend that you get some good skills on scree before attempting this one.

The track I am uploading is from a fellow climber.

This is definitely a bucket list mountain to climb. Four of us went up the Avalanche Gulch trail from Helen Lake in early June. Good snow all the way to the top, but make sure you know how to self-arrest. Two of us (at different times) slipped coming back down through the Red Banks and had to self-arrest. We were all able to glissade most of the way from the Red Banks back down to Helen Lake.

Went up in mid September thru the Clear Creek TH. Camped above the spring and started up the Mud Creek Ridge. Winds were very gusty (60-70mph). Imade it above Mud Creek Falls before turning back (my partner made it to Konwakiton where gusts were 80+). Returned to campsite and watched one of those most incredible storms ever dance over the top. We awoke to white-out and had to give up trying for the summit. This was my first try at a mountain with elevation but I will be back!

Awesome hike. I went in early sept. up the east side. Hiked to about 8500 ft camped out and made the summit push at 345am. Reached the peak by noon even after a one hour thunderstorm delay where we had to take shelter against some rocks. Poles highly recommended for this time of year. The terrain is tough going. However this can be had by all levels of aspiring climbers. Enjoy!

This is a great beginner, do it your self mountain. Fun can be had at almost all times of the year. Do you camp or go for the top in one push is the question? Both tactics work for different reasons. Nothing technical on the south side, just hiking with the right gear.

beautiful trail but not really marked, if you make it to the ranger station past the campgrounds keep going straight up, if i made it all the way to helen lake as a smoker i am sure you can also, beautiful trail, beautiful views amazing partner, all in all a SPECTACULAR DAY

started at Brewer creek trailhead and walked to the 10,500' camp on a large rock field. did some glacier travel roped up with some friends. the walk to base camp isn't much fun. didn't get to summit due to really warm temps and crap snow conditions. headed back next Monday for a week.

Gorgeous view, not fan of the terrain so much but it can't be helped. I went to about 9500 feet elevation.

I was there in Late September. I started at Bunny Flat Trl and took me around 4-5 hike to Helen's Lake. The hike is long..and strenuous. Lake Helen...has no water, only ice. I had fun playing it the snow.