Mt. Pinos via McGill Trail

Mt. Pinos via McGill Trail is a 24.4 mile out and back trail located near Frazier Park, CA that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great trail, not to busy and nice views

Good hike all the way to TV transmission tower, use care-on weekends MANY mountain bikers use trails.

Great trail through the Grapevine! Had no idea there was a mountain town up there.

We live in Bakersfield to the North about an hour, and this is our go to trail. It is well worth a longer drive. Look for warnings about if the Adventure Pass is in effect. They sell one day ones and the Ranger Station in the Nordic Base parking lot. Great snowshoeing in the winter as well.

Love this trail, it's so calm and usually pretty green. In the beginning of the year it usually keeps a bit of snow on the mountain sides. Great hike for beginners and dog friendly. My husband and I needed a little more of a challenge so we just kept walking to the next mountain top. So if you're looking for more, there's definietlyplenty of room for that

The Mc Gill Trail is a wonderful hiking trail except on the weekends. On the weekends there are a lot of mountain bike downhillers so you have to jump really quick to the side of the trail. It's really a lot of fun for them so I cannot blame them.

There are plenty of quieter trails on weekends like the one from Cerro Noroeste toward Pinos Summit via Sawmill Mountain

Hiked from McGill Campground with my 8 year old son. Since my boy is only 8 i have to choose my hikes wisely. McGill campground has bathrooms but no running water and the elevation is 7500 feet. Started on the "exploration trail" which is only half mile each way but completely paved, easy, and ends at a scenic vista. Then proceeded to the McGill trail". We hiked about 2 miles and returned. Mostly downhill and then uphill. My 8 year old had no problems. Views are great and trees are huge. Pretty quiet with the exception occasional mountain biker. If you have verizon you will have full "LTE" signal for entire hike.

Did this trail last night. Started at 6:00PM, at the "Y" and the very bottom of the McGill trail, we hiked to through McGill campground, through the parking lot of Mt. Pinos, up to the top of Mt. Pinos. We then kept going west done and back up to Mt. Able, where we went down a half mile to Sheep Camp. We got there at 1:00AM and stayed the night. The next morning we hiked back out a half miles and then went to the very top of Mt. Able. A very long hike, with constant up hill ascent almost the entire way. Great trail, with great views.

I'm just getting back into hiking. 320 lbs working on losing weight. Made it to the second peak. Took everything I had. The peak was very nice amazing view. Signed my name and added a rock to the pile

This trail is awesome. If you get a chance, hike into the Chumash Wilderness from the Mt. Pinos TH. Great Limber pine and Jeffery/Ponderosa stands. Incredible views from the Pinos Summit of the valley and of the chumash to the south west.