Mt Gower Open Space Preserve Trail

Mt Gower Open Space Preserve Trail is a 9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ramona, CA and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible from October until May. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Mt Gower Open Space is great for hiking and normally takes a half day. The trail starts off pretty flat, and after the first mile or so there is a steep incline up to a rolling ridge-line before you continue up to the main peak. The preserve offers great views as far as the coast on clear days. Steep grades in places and no shade throughout the hike. Lots of chaparral and shrubs. Trail is well maintained and easy to follow.

love this place!! 3 hikes to do. from the main staging area facing sign hike to left is just under 5 miles and hike/running takes about 1 hour. Hike to the right and up right again at boulders is under 3 and hike/running is about 40 minutes. Hike to the top is under 8 and takes about 3.5 hrs hike/running. Must bring lots of water to top when hot!! Beautiful!!! love it. If you love getting out away from everyone then try this place.

Did this hike during a heatwave. I think it was 80 degrees by 730 a.m. Definitely get out early for this one if you are going for the Gower summit. There is very little shade. Water...whole lot of water. Poles are good. This hike is tough.

Beautiful hike but I would rate it as challenging/difficult. To get to the top there isn't a super clear trail, we just followed a wash that may have been there due to all the rain we've been getting. I consider myself a novice hiker in good hiking shape, but it is possible to get lost so keep track of your surroundings! Overall a great day hike :)

Really fun but no rivers or streams. Lots of rocks and uphill climbing

We cut a little off the trail at the beginning by going over the hill and joining the trail at tee-pee rock after that we stay on the trail to the top. The view at the top was spectacular, you get a 360 of the whole valley. Take plenty of water and a trail snack to get your energy back. Very tired on last hill coming out. Total for doing it this way was just over 7 miles and about 4 hours.

Saturday, April 2, 2016 I wanted to explore new hiking terrains so friend mentioned Mt. Gower's Peak. I really enjoyed the long distance 8.82 round-trip mileage my GPS64 registered which included the viewpoint to the right of Tee-Pee Boulders! After a short stint to the viewpoint, you will saddleback then steep hike towards the water tower. From here, you'll discover 3 peaks, each ascending after the next before trekking Mt. Gower which is a challenge in itself. Reaching the peak, you encounter 3 huge boulders that look like the famous Stonehedge and minutes later a Flintstone like table-rock. From this point it is pretty much all a steep hike/climb to the peak! Relaxing at the summit & the view is well-worth the hike! Bring lots of water and munchies because the trek back to the trailhead is exhausting!

Super difficult! Need lots of water. We summited which requires some rock climbing. Great views. Not for the uninitiated!

Fantastic hike, just harder than u thought. Definitely need to bring more water than you think. We found it harder on the way back than way up. Trail is very easy to follow even though some say it's not. Walking sticks really do help and don't attempt to do this in middle of summer, way to exhausting.

Hiked this with a buddy of mine and had an awesome time. Trail doesnt take you to the top of Gower so need to do a little trail blazing. bring lots of water if you do this in the summer.

challenging hike....due to the heat and going in wrong direction coming back from summit. drank 3 liters since the humidity was 60%..make sure you know this trail b4 u head end...we followed pink ribbons left by others but it leads in the opposite direction from where we started..we had to backtrack to summit edge to find the original rounte in which we came. trekking poles are your friend on this hike...I advise..do not do this hike in heat. overall, it was a workout. blisters for proof.

Challenging hike, it took me about 5 hours. The trail was difficult to find on the final leg, look closely for markers left by others. Wear shoes with good traction and take plenty of water, I took 64 oz and drank it all. There's a nice view from the top and it's definitely not crowded.

It was a very challenging hike, so I appreciate that. The views were nice, but there wasn't much for scenery, the only plants that were really around were bushes. Didn't see any snakes but did see a hawk. It was a warm day and I highly recommend bringing lots of water if you plan on hiking this in the summer. I would hike this trail again, but other trails in San Diego have better scenery. I would agree in comparing this trail to El Capitan, its kind of like a way to get prepared for El Cap.

Great hike! Terrain can be slippery. Trekking poles are helpful. Very little traffic (usually a biker and 1 or 2 hikers) which makes it very peaceful. Average time round trip is about 5 hours, so be prepared. I usually carry about 60oz with me.

Wonderful hike!.....little rough on the ol thighs though

This place was beautiful! Some of the hills are more on the challenging side, but the views are so worth the trip! Take your time and enjoy it!

one if the best hike I've done. it was very beautiful, the weather and the view. it was easier to get to than I thought. only thing is, we started at the Gunn Stage Road so that cut the hike a little shorter. I will have to go back again and do the full 9 miles.

Mount Gower is a wonderful and rewarding hike for anyone looking for a good challenge. On the way up you are treated to stunning views of the Ramona Estates, Ramona Peak, Cuyamaca peak (highest peak in San Diego) and other mountains in the area. Although not as demanding a climb as others like El Cajon mountain (commonly called El Capitan) it does have a big hill climb and some ups and downs over the ridge line. For the adventurous there is a trail off the main trail that will take you up to the actual peak. It's well worth the day climbing around and exploring in the preserve.

This was a very good hike but beware of snakes. I didn't encounter any this time but they warn you of at least for kinds of snakes, especially in hot weather.