Mt. Baldy via Devil's Backbone Trail

Mt. Baldy via Devil's Backbone Trail is a 12.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Baldy, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Taking the 10 - 60- or 210 fwy exit Mountain Ave. and head north. Mountain Ave. turns into Mt. Baldy Road, take this road all the way up to Manker Flats Road, located about 100 yards past Manker Flats campground on the west side on the street.

Hiked up to the Mt. Baldy Summit via Devil's Backbone trail and there is snow off and on going up the trail. Micro-spikes not mandatory but bring them if you have them especially if you plan on exiting via the Baldy Bowl Trail.

I came in at Maker Flats and hiked to the summit via the Baldy Bowl Trail. After summit I exited the Devils Backbone which was a very nice relief as the trail isn't steep, and is much flatter ground. I had a 40lb pack with enough provisions to last me 3 days. I camped at 8k feet the first night on the Baldy Bowl trail. My pack slowed me down and there are a few little sketchy areas on this trail where people have fallen to their death in winter icy, snowy conditions. I met one hiker, kid probably 18, or 19 on his way to the summit with only a tshirt on and said he had a flash light. I met him about 4pm at dusk. It would be dark by the time he summited, and I stopped him to make sure he had a flashlight at least. Weather conditions at the summit were about 30mph winds and the first mile of this trail were winds gusting 30/40mph, and it was cold.

started hike from the ski lift trail up to Top of the Notch, that alone was a good hike up add to Devil's Backbone.. whew!

Great hiking trail, very windy, but view is wonderful.

We took the chairlift up and then walked this trail. Fantastic walk, the views are spectacular, the paths are interesting and beautiful.

This def one of my favorite hikes. Ive done this one several times and still enjoy it as much as I did the first time. Hiking during a light snowfall is beautiful. The mountain top have just enough snow for some amazing pictures. Also, keep your eyes open for ladybugs as they migrate to higher elevation during the winter. You'll find thousands of gorgeous ladybugs.

Love this trail.