Mount Wittenberg Trail

Mount Wittenberg Trail is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Point Reyes Station, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Hike to the Summit of Mt. Wittenburg (1407') enjoy stunning 360 views from the summit Start from the Bear Valley Visitor Center.

One of my favorites at Pt. Reyes. Take plenty of water and dress in layers. We were there in May and it was cool in the am with the fog, but once it burned off, we got warm. Hiking stick was very helpful for me, not for going up, but down back to the visitor center. The flowers were in full bloom and the trees were as green as could be.

3-1/2 stars would be more accurate for me. Some great views of both sides of the mountain during the hike, and lots of variation between large growth forest and more exposure with views. But, there were some negatives too. A large portion of the beginning of the hike was pretty straight and bland with no views or variation; it was along a gravel road if I'm remembering correctly. The summit itself was not very climactic, and there is no view to be had as it's flat and surrounded by trees. Still a worthwhile and memorable hike because of the middle sections having beautiful views from both the east and west sides of Wittenberg.

This was my first time hiking in Point Reyes and we couldn't decide what trial to do first. While at the Bear visitor center I saw MT. WITTENBERG and figured a mountain top would be pretty good. So we walked from the center a bit toward the MT. WITTENBERG trail. The trail is mostly forested and decently steep at most points. We only saw a few people even though it was a holiday weekend. Once near the end, there is a sign in an open meadow pointing to the "summit" and two other trails. The "summit" was kinda dissapointing as there are a bunch of trees blocking the view. From the meadow, we turned and took the Meadow trail back to the Bear trail and back to the parking lot and visitor center. There also seemed to be a lot of horse use on the Meadow trail and we had to watch out for horse poop; not a big deal.

Considering that the game has been around for a while, there do seem to be less people playing Castlevania Harmony of Despair

Absolutely love this trail. Beautiful view of the Point Reyes peninsula on a clear day. Husband proposed to me on top of this mountain. Trail is a constant upward climb but if you take your time and pace yourself you shouldn't have a problem. Trail is well shaded for the most part and can be hiked year round.

This trail starts at the visitor center and begins the climb right away. Shaded and cool along most of the way, it's a great choice if you're looking for a quicker hike that is all about the aerobics and not the payoff (there is no real view from the top). If you're gonna do this one, I'd say give yourself more time and continue on towards the ocean...it's well worth it and not strenuous at all.

Starts at the visitor center and climbs fast through the forest. The trail is usually pretty damp as it does nothave much sun. Smells and looks great. Very well kept trail. Once on to at Mt Wittenberg, it flattens out and opens to a valley with high grass. We saw deer there. Beautiful place for stopping and grabbing a bite. You can continue to other trails that lead to all the other areas within Point Reyes or you can continue to loop back to the starting point. Great hike. I do it every time I'm up in SF area.