Mount Wilson Trail

Mount Wilson Trail is a 12.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Sierra Madre, CA that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from January until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

210 to Baldwin Avenue. Baldwin north to Mira Monte. Mira Monte east (right) to trailhead located behind historic general store.

Very hard up to Wilson. Scenic and canopied after First Water. Watch for the bear family around Orchard Camp.

over 5000 feet climbing with 14 mile around trip! I am proud of myself. Nice weather, friendly even road, good view! However, we saw an adult bear...

Great hike and very physically demanding specially if you carry more than 15 lbs. the waterfall is currently dried up due to the severe drought. Be very careful, I had a scary encounter with a black bear and her cub. The black bear stalked me and I thought she was surely going to charge. I was by myself so I made a lot of noise and eventually I had to climb up to once of the cement dams that was nearby. The black bear lost interest after that but it was definitely scary. Overall great hike thought!

Challenging in a hot day:)

On Saturday July 23, 2016 at 5:30 am I started my hike around 7:am I arrived at ORCHID CAMP. it was very quiet and I was tired because of pain in my leg muscles I decided to rest and eat some boiled eggs I had with me. It took about 5 minutes and I saw a hiker and talked to him and he said is continuing his hiking. I looked at the path was uphill and I decided to go back, as soon as I got to the big fallen tree around 75 feet away there was a big BROWN BEAR looking at me, The bear started coming toward me I was scared did not know what to do but I decided to yell and scream at him. I was lucky because the way the area was located my voice was echoed and seemed I am very large and raised my walking stick. at one point I was thinking this is it and I am going to be eaten by the BROWN BEAR. because of my voice was echoed that saved me and the bear went to the upper path hid behind the bushes. I decided to come back and all the way I told all the other hikers about my encounter with the BROWN BEAR. On the way back I was making more noise than before because I was alone.

My biggest lesson was do not ever go alone in the hike again and be prepared in case of it happens again.

Great hike, although I have run across a snake once or twice. Bring water. Not for little kids although our puppy does ok up to about first water! Not a lot of parking for out-of-towners. One of my favorite hikes I do it about once a week.

beautiful hike all the way up!! the last stretch for us was hell. make sure you bring enough water especially if you're going in the summer months. also I definitely recommend this on a clear day because the view is incredible!!!

Bring more water than you'd think! Excruciating climb to the top but well worth it. Just come prepared or you'll be devastated.

I'm from West Virginia n recently moved out here to Cali. I love hiking so I just picked the first trail I seen and went here. Def a diff type of hiking than where I'm from. Beautiful views not to hard. I had both my dogs.

this a great trail to have so close to the city. It's a great work out that won't take all day and it is beautiful.

I am going to confirm that it is not one bear, but two bears that calls the area around Orchard Camp their territory. One is black the other is brown, and they are huge. My wife and I came upon them around 300 yards past Orchard Camp on the way to summit. They were no more than 25 feet from us. Our encounter was terrifying as they are not scared of people. We slowly retreated as they stared at us the whole time. Without having any experience with wild bears, i felt we got lucky.

The trail is well marked and there is also a cafe and an observatory at the top.

nice!

Beautiful rugged trail that will get your heart pumping! I love strenuous hikes with a variety of scenery and this one did it for me. Warning--there is at least one bear living around Orchard Camp that comes out in the evenings. I saw her very close to the trail and heard her again down the ravine. Go early and bring something that makes noise. Also the insects are awful in the wooded parts. Highly recommend insect nets and bug spray. Bring lots of water and a snack, this trail ain't no joke!

I made it to the First Water. Which is a huge deal for me. But I'll tell you, this is thee TOUGHEST trail for beginners haha
I contemplated quitting, but I at least made it to First Water. It's really scenic, it's beautiful.
But tough as shit.