Mount Wilson Loop via Chantry Flats

Mount Wilson Loop via Chantry Flats is a 12 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sierra Madre, California that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Awesome hike. I have hiked this trail during the summer and in the fall and both times it is always fun. I loved hiking during the rains the most and i was fortunate enough to see many salamanders in the forest areas near the rocks and water. I also saw a huge redtail hawk, alligator lizards, huge grey fluffy haired squirrels, blue jays, and plenty of other birds and insects.

Great hike, the last 3 miles were steep. Be aware there are two benchmarks at the top.

Trail conditions were great!

It was an amazing hike. We didn't expect to see that much snow. It made it a little more difficult to go up but still fun. On to the new mountain.

awesome

Loved this! Super long and tough (at least for me, a moderate hiker), almost consistently uphill, but beautiful with a really cool observation deck at the top. Took us about 8 hours, granted we spent well over an hour at the top taking pictures, walking through the observatory museum and snacking. All in all, we walked about 15 miles. I don't know how, since the trail is 12, but I guess we wandered a lot at the top (and parked a far bit away at the bottom).

It's a very hard but nice hiking trail, got shade from start to finish!

I'm sure most hikers here know about the "SoCal six-pack". Well basically, I've hiked most of the 6 but never did Mt Wilson (the easiest), so this Saturday I did that. It's about 14 miles round trip, we finished in about 7 hours with some breaks. Super fun, more beautiful than I expected to be honest. For some reason I though it would be pretty easy and but drab. In fact it's actually fairly tough and the views are fantastic. I made a short video of some of the views: https://youtu.be/ZPblDbuZmOM

I was amazed at the abundant shade. Would recommend doing the loop counter-clockwise, as this puts the longer part of the hike before the summit. Consider adding the Mt. Zion summit for an even greater challenge.

These directions are wrong. They take you to the observatory. Looks like maybe you can start that way but the gates don't open til 10 so when we got up there at 7am we had to drive back down the mountain and follow the directions on the other one listed.

Great hike EXCEPT, Mount Wilson trail is closed as of 10/21 due to a bear attack on 10/10. The trail is physically accessible, except for a small sign at the trailhead saying it's closed. Otherwise, the climb up Sturtevant Trail was a bit tough, and took my wife, myself, and our dog a full 4 hours starting at 6:45AM. The trail is cool in the morning, and mostly shaded and through trees and woods. A few small sections are exposed and have a "desert feel" to them. GOOD NEWS: the water refill at Mount WIlson is up and running as of this post.

We did this hike as the first of the "six pack of peaks" and found it challenging and rewarding. The 13+ miles was JUST at the limit of our dog's abilities, and I wouldn't recommend bringing a dog unless he/she has long distance hiking experience.

After a 45 minute break at the top, we hiked back down Sturtevant Trail in roughly 3 hours, which took longer than normal due to having to stop every 10 minutes towards the end to give our dog a break. The last .6 miles up Chantry Flats road was the hottest part of the trip, and unfortunately at the end which really pushed our dog to the limit.

Great hike! Make sure you have plenty of water the the trip back. You can't refill your water at the top anymore because of the drought.

Great trail, a lot of switch backs. Very difficult, and from chantry flats its 14 miles round trip. I also had a deer run up the creek in front of me and cross the trail, it was a cool sight. Bring lots of water. Happy hiking