Mount Tom Fire Lookout Trail

Mount Tom Fire Lookout Trail is a 5.4 mile out and back trail located near Shaver Lake, CA and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for off road driving and is accessible from June until November.

off road driving

A little smoke from a few fires but I'll be back for a better view with clear skies

off road driving

did this trail in 2 wheel drive with my family back in 2007. the view from the top is great. very dusty and watch for snakes.

The road was closed so we jumped the fence and walked at dusk to view the super moon it was awesome we drank some wine to toast the moon and hung around until 10 pm. I found the peak marker on the rocks south of the tower.

off road driving

A pretty nerve-wracking drive up. Not impossible, but I used 4H to avoid slipping on some of the steep hills. I probably could have made it without 4wd. There is almost no way for two vehicles to pass each other in most sections so extreme caution should be used; watch for other vehicles. We were lucky enough to not encounter anyone else up or down. Its pretty far back in the mountains so I don't think it gets much traffic. The view from the top is breathtaking. Every much worth the drive.