Mount Lukens Via Dunsmore Canyon

Mount Lukens Via Dunsmore Canyon is a 8.7 mile loop trail located near Glendale, CA. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Great challenging hike. Saw a Bobcat near the summit. Stunning views. Took us 5 hours with 3 10 min breaks.

It's a really good trail challenging but with good shed!! It's about 9- 10 miles round trip.

Great time to do this one! Get out there and see the wildflowers in their full glory. This loop is exposed most of the time so plan accordingly. Radio towers are the payoff at top but it's really about the journey...

It was great! Did this hike with 2 of my friends. First hour was pretty hard. We did the whole loop and followed this trail map here. Started around 8am and was done by a little pass noon. Same as Mt. Lukens via Ridge. I believe it's more than 9miles. Beautiful scenic view of the mountains and the city. We also did this hike on a cool, windy weather. I would not recommend doing this around the summer unless u start really early because there's no shade. Overall it's great hiking this with friends.

Nice loop

This hike was great. We did the loop. Be prepared for a long downhill-lots of endless switchbacks coming down the west side. This is much better in the winter-lots of cool fog and must today.

This hike would be great at another time of year. I picked one of the hottest days to ascend up to the top of Mount Luken via the Dunsmore Canyon Trail from the Duekmejian Wilderness Area. We left at 7:30am and had a lot of shade from the mountain going up - thank God! Once to the fire road, I thought the hike would be easier, but it was a steady climb in direct sun for the rest of the way to the towers at the summit. One friend that was in our party didn't make it to the top and ran out of water. Thankfully, a tower worker came by and picked her up. The descent is steep and very hot - exposed all the way. It was rough. So weather really is the key for this hike. It is beautiful all the way up, and the views are spectacular from the top. You can see all the way to Catalina Island! I will do this again, but wait for the weather to get cooler. Bring poles for the downhill! My knees are talking to me. It took us 5 hours with some rest at the top and a few waits for friends and shade cooling down. I drank most of my 3 liter bladder. Bring LOTS of water if it's hot and sunny...better yet, wait for the marine layer, then go!