Mount Lowe Campground Trail

Mount Lowe Campground Trail is a 7 mile out and back trail located near Mt Wilson, CA that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Pasadena, CA: Travel Interstate 210 north, exit Lake Avenue and go north to Loma Alta Drive. Turn west (left) on Loma Alta and drive to the Chaney Trail (flashing yellow light). From locked gate hike 4-5 miles on road which follows old railroad bed to Mt. Lowe Trail Campground.

Started at the corner of Lake & Loma Alta Dr. and went up to Insperation Point. what a beautiful view!. I would say the trail was moderate/Hard. Round tip was 9.60 miles and took about 4 and half hours. not counting the time we stayed at Insperation point to eat our lunch. Rattlesnake was spotted on the trail June 5. so watch your step. Dog friendly but don't forget they get hot too and bring them plenty of water and snacks for the hike.

love it

Started @ 7:30 this morning from the Chaney Trail trailhead. Took the Sunset Ridge Trail to Cape of Good Hope. Proceeded up the Mt Lowe Historic Railway Trail to Mt Lowe Trail Camp. Continued to Inspiration Point, down the Castle Canyon Trail to Echo Mountain, MLHR back to Cape of Good Hope and back out Sunset Ridge Trail to the trailhead arriving back at the car at 15:30.
It was a beautiful day for this hike. Shaded north facing slopes still head a trace of snow from a recent storm. It was just above 32' when we started and Millard Canyon and shaded portions of the trail stayed cool all day. While this hike is uphill all the way to Mt Lowe Trail Camp, the relatively gentle grade provides a decent cardiovascular workout. Add a 25# pack with all the necessaries and that takes care of the anaerobic side.
Views are magnificent. The information markers remarkably survived the Station Fire and we're quite infornative. Photo ops were constant. Mt Lowe Trail Camp, site of Alpine Tavern the terminus of the Mt Lowe Railway, is quite nice. There are Men/Women's privies, picnic tables, fire rings, an intermittent stream provides water in the spring and early summer. There is supposedly a spring but we couldn't find it. Inspiration Point really tickled me. Great shade structures, tubular spotting scopes to locate LA landmarks, and great panoramic Vistas for the photographer in you. Castle Canyon Trail to Echo Mountain wasn't too bad. 50/50 nice trail with uneven trail. Grade wasn't too bad. Great shade and the stream was running with cold, clear water. Echo Mountain provided our next break. The site of the White City Resort has plenty to offer those interested in not only LA history but also the remnants of the achievement of Prof. Lowe's monumental railway.
Our route created a 15.6 mile loop. We spent 8 hours on the mountain and according to my GPS log we spent 4 hr 45 min moving and 3 hr 15 min stopped. This hike has been on my bucket list for quite some time and I be doing it again soon.

i hihed that trail today sunday aug 31 2014 beautyful warm day i satarted at the bottom of the sam murrill trail at the cobb estate at 5:30am in altadena . got to echo mt at 6:40am and had 10min break and continued on the mt lowe trail .. turn left and keep on the historic former right of way wich you will find posted signs with pictures of what was the most points of interest of the trip to the alpine the mount lowe camp ground a nice place to stop for lunch up to this point from echo mt its 3.5 miles.... continued on the fire road to the junction to the summit of mt lowe, the head of sunset trail that takes you you back to echo mt......continued to inpiration point a awsome stop for luch also built in 1929 by the pacific electric it had survive all this years of course it been restore over the years ......inpiration point also the begining of castle canyon trail that leads you back to echo mt and , i hiked back. very steep trail ( butt kicker ) if you going up 5 miles from inspiration point to the bottom of sam murrill trail 11 miles moderate to easy ... hope you will enjoy as much as i did be safe

This trail begins at ECHO Mountain peak area and is a traverse that follows the old rail road route. It is a slight incline to the Cape of Good Hope where you take a left and begin the Sunset Trail to Millard Campground where there is a trailhead that can be reached from Loma Alta Drive. this is where the Chaney trail begins Awesome hike!

I agree with the above review. I too trekked from the bottom to Echo mountain and found that the constant switchbacks and quick elevation gain makes this a difficult trail. It's a hot trail too if you don't time it correctly. But the views on a clear day are SPECTACULAR! Started the trek to the Outlooks but decided to turn back as I did not have enough water for my dog. But you'll need to pack lots of water and snacks. It's a nice trail. There can be hoards of people if you go on a weekend but early morning is great for the solitary hiker like me.

I may be exaggerating the strenuous difficulty but it isnt moderate either. We, my girlfriend and I, did the Sam Merril trail to Echo Mountain and them took the trail to the Paradise Lodge (campsite) from there. The Lodge trail ended at the Cape of Good Hope and we continued to the camp site. Another day, we did the hike from the trail head and although the trail was wider, it was mostly in the sun to the Cape of Good hope. Either way, you are looking at about 6 miles of an uphill hike, gaining some 4000+ ft. We tried to enter through the north from the Mt Wilson Red Box road but after the tunnel, the rock slide wiped out the trail. But from there, it would only be a 3 mile descend to the camp site, declining 1000 ft. I looked like, from satellite photos, that the 1st mile would be mostly in the sun but after the u-turn, there would be more shade.
The campsite is in complete seclusion. You could do some hiking but its ideal if you just want to chillax. You do hear an occasional hiker(s) or mountain biker(s) during the day. You do need to pack EVERYTHING in. My recommendation is to go light. There is a stream but its a trickle during the summer and MUST be treated before use. There are pits for campfires and a separate women/men outhouse. Most annoying is the trash left by previous idiots. We have not spent the night there but are planning to SOON!