Mount Hoffman Trail

Mount Hoffman Trail is a 5.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Yosemite National Park, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and birding and is accessible from March until November.

5.6 miles 2015 feet Out & Back

Easy access, spectacular views from the center of Yosemite. Centrally located at an elevation of 10,850' Yosemite's Mount Hoffman provides one of the best overall views of the park. The short hiking distance make this a popular hike. The trail to May Lake is a short and pleasant climb. From May Lake the official trail disappears and becomes somewhat steeper and there are several use trails to the summit. Route finding isn't difficult, but there is a section of loose rock to deal with. The only drawback of the summit experience is that you will have to share it with a tower that was erected years back, but the views make sharing worthwhile!

Had to hike up the road to may lake trail head due to road closure (additional 1.7miles). Hike to May Lake was nice and enough to work up a sweat....and then there was Mt Hoffman! I followed the fork left at the lake and only saw a few half built cairns. Determined to summit, I went directly up the face of the mountain (rather then around as the trail shows here)... in hindsight probably not the best decision as there were many icy and exposed sections of slick granite and loose rock. After sacking oxygen, burning legs and some sketchy spots I was welcomed to the top with a field of hard packed snow. I kicked footholds until I reached non snow covered parts and was pleased to see a large bare meadow of sorts at the summit! in attempts to avoid the very step descent the way I came, I wrapped around the peak in hope of finding the trail down...unfortunately no luck and I dipped far down in to the valley and had to climb back towards the lake... end message...while it was quite the workout and adventure, I wouldn't follow my lead for many reasons (including trail etiquette!) another take home message, really look for those cairns if they exist!

A must do hike. Fantastic vistas await you at the top.

I hiked this today with my husband and 14 yr old son. Once you are in the parking lot, start to the left of entrance, close to the bathrooms. Getting to May Lake took maybe 25 min for us, it was very beautiful and very quiet. Ascending up Mount Hoffman was easy to moderate until you get up to maybe 1000 ft, where there's loose rock and you have to pay close attention to footpath. You'll see cairns, which is the first time I've ever been able to appreciate these, due to no trail markers. The last section, to me, was more difficult than moderate, but worth it.. a lot of big rocks to climb in and out of the path. Perhaps if didn't have a fear of falling, it wouldn't have seemed so difficult. The summit is not for the faint of heart., but the 360 views are to die for! My son got halfway up that final section to the tower/summit and stopped there upon my request. Even there, you have really gorgeous views of the lower valley below. From the parking lot to summit and back, with a few breaks, it took us 5 hours and 30 minutes.

Gorgeous hike

Beautiful

Mt. Hoffman is a great hike and scramble! The hike to May Lake itself is easy but after that is a wee bit of rock scrambling to the top. There were a few parts where I was apprehensive but that was due to my personal fear of falling. I went in May on the opening day of Tioga Pass and I ran into no one, but during the peak of summer I'd imagine the crowds along the trail to be fairly moderate since it's fairly short.

This hike provides astounding beauty, including the most amazing views of Yosemite. You'll have to scramble up the granite at the very end if you want to reach the summit, but it's worth it.