Mount El Sombroso Trail

Mount El Sombroso Trail is a 12.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Los Gatos, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

"Meh. Nothing to write home about." (Definition of 2 stars here) very accurate. A few days since the last rain and was fairly dry. Could've walked up in sneakers but not recommended. Dogs aren't allowed all the way to the top and the view from the top is next to power lines. Lots of driving for "meh".

If your looking for a nice workout this trail is perfect! By the time I got back to the car I burned ~3,300 calories! I went a day after a rain and it was still cloudy and a bit muddy. This trail is essentially a fire road, it's very wide and the brush is cleared away. There are some nice views on the way up and very little tree coverage.

I was hiking at a pretty fast pace and took no breaks along the way (except for quick stops to take photos). On the way out, the trail is all up hill. I walked about two hours straight up! On average my heart rate was at 145-150 bps, this is pretty high for me, especially for 2+ hours. The way back in is almost all down hill, there are a few up hill portions near the top but it's almost all downhill after that.