Mount El Sombroso Trail

Mount El Sombroso Trail is a 12.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Los Gatos, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

If your looking for a nice workout this trail is perfect! By the time I got back to the car I burned ~3,300 calories! I went a day after a rain and it was still cloudy and a bit muddy. This trail is essentially a fire road, it's very wide and the brush is cleared away. There are some nice views on the way up and very little tree coverage.

I was hiking at a pretty fast pace and took no breaks along the way (except for quick stops to take photos). On the way out, the trail is all up hill. I walked about two hours straight up! On average my heart rate was at 145-150 bps, this is pretty high for me, especially for 2+ hours. The way back in is almost all down hill, there are a few up hill portions near the top but it's almost all downhill after that.