Mount Baden Powell Trail

Mount Baden Powell Trail is a 8.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Valyermo, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Panoramic views from summit, unusual limber pine forest This is a strenuous hike up to the 9400 foot peak of Mount Baden-Powell. The hike, up 40 switchbacks, takes you through an amazing range of vegetation. Along the way you will see Oaks, Jeffery pines, Sugar Pines, Incense Cedar, Lodgepole Pines, White Fir, and near the summit the knarled Limber Pines. The views from the summit are breathtaking, looking over the Mojave desert and Southern Sierra. This is a great training day hike for a future backpacking trip.

hiked this again on thanksgiving day (11/24/16) and it was beautiful but slow going - there was ice on the trail about a mile in, and then as soon as we got into the pine section (halfway up), the ice became foot-deep snow and only got thicker as you get up to the saddle on the last stretch to the summit. even postholed a couple times but it was only up to the knees (i'm a short person). the peak itself didn't have too much snow, you could even still see the gravel and dirt beneath. Also, someone had stolen the flag boo. Since it's rained even more post-thanksgiving, I'd definitely recommend at least bringing microspikes or stabilicers for your shoes, and snow baskets for your trekking poles if you have them (i unfortunately left mine at home, since i underestimated the amount of snow there'd be). oh, and a headlamp if you're not fast and you start kinda late like we did, it gets dark about 4.30/5 - luckily we had lights on :)

Nice hike beautiful views... lil rocky be careful... great workout...

very popular trail when I was there

Loved this hike; scenery was nice and the weather helped it was very fresh.. will do it again soon

10/1/16- Adventure pass required. The parking lot is on your left hand side. Come early because parking fills up quickly. A good portion of the trail is shaded. Hiking poles not required but are helpful. Some of the inclines are steep but it's mainly a steady incline throughout the trail. It took me 2.5 hours to get to the top and 2 hours to get down. As for the crowd, once everyone gets started and going at their own pace it'll feel like a lightly trafficked trail. I typically take an ibuprofen prior to my hikes to prevent getting sick from the altitude.

Some people will disagree with me, but I think the majority of this trail is kinda boring. Don't get me wrong, I understand the purpose of switchbacks and don't mind a trail that has a few, but this route is 95% back and forth. Thankfully, the views and scenery at the backbone and summit are worth the monotony. They offer spectacular views of Baldy, Burnham, and many other peaks. The views down into the Mojave Desert and Mine Gulch are splendid as well. If I do Baden Powell again, I'm going to take the trail from Islip Saddle via Windy Gap.

Great workout, lots of shade.

Wonderful trail that is just a bunch of switchbacks. Although not really crowded there were lots of hikers. And specifically on the day I went there was a running event going on so lots of runners also.

This trail was strenuous going up. It has many switchbacks and is all up hill but the payoff at the top is unlike any other---it is gorgeous! There is a 360 degree view from the top as well. Simply beautiful and well worth the effort.

Awesome trail
It was alone when we went

Loved it!

Always rewarding. Hiked this many times as a warm up to bigger hikes. Never tried it in winter but properly equipped could be great.

Amazing! Tough 4 miles uphill to the summit but we'll worth it!

We made it to Lamel Springs before turning off- I was recovering from the flu and the bf was struggling with altitude. Still beyond beautiful. Trail is well maintained, not a speck of trash or grafitti. The views are breathtaking. Also: if you forget your pass, theres a turnout ~.25 miles further (northish) on the 2 where we parked without being ticketed. Be mindful of walking down the highway, and use at your own risk! We will be back to make the summit.

I made it about 2/3 of the way to the summit but turned back due to altitude sickness. My symptoms included dizziness, a headache and an extremely high heart rate. I might've been able to make it to the top, but after reading about the seriousness of altitude sickness, I decided to play it safe. I'll make sure to acclimate myself before I give it a second go.

loved this hike. stayed overnight on the mountain. https://lovz2hike.com/2016/05/30/mtbadenpowell2016/

Super fun hike and a part of the PCT. Well maintained trail. After the summit, extended the trip to Mt Burnham for lunch.

First major hike of the year. The hard rating is no joke. This hike is pretty steep most of the way up and the only breaks are the cutbacks. I brought 3 liters of water and burned through most of it. The views are incredibly worth it though. Get started early as there are a lot of hikers and in the dense trees the heat can get to you. Happy trails!

This was our first decent sized hike as we prepare for Whitney in July. I'm not going to lie, we have work to do! Took us about 3 hours up and 2 hours down. Clocked 23000 steps, which was more then I'm used to, by far. Went through 2 liters of water with my hydration pack. Ate lunch at the summit. Great trail, but not for beginners in my opinion. If you're in decent shape you can do it though. I'm 48 and my son is 14, and we did it, but we were beat when we got down. Parking says Adventure Pass required, but when we inquired at the welcome center, they said to not worry about it. The ticket is $5 and so is the pass, so if you get a notice, just send it in with the fee. I'll do this one a few more times over the next month. Went on a Tuesday and came across quite a few people. The majority of hikers we saw out there were not day hikers, but loaded up for a big trek. Everyone was very nice.

On the day we went there were plenty of people on the mountain but I wouldn't call it crowded. Take plenty of water and drink it! This is a tough climb and just as hard going down when trying to control your descent speed. Overall the views are unbeatable and we met all types of hikers. Good day overall even though we were really 'beat' when we got back to the bottom.