Mosquito Flat

Mosquito Flat is a 10.7 mile out and back trail located near Bishop, CA that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping and is accessible from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Very beautiful easy hike. Mosquito nets not needed.

Do I need mosquito nets or is repellant sufficient ?

Do we need mosquito nets in August or is repellant sufficient?

Absolutely stunning hike, for a hiker & a photographer! Only negatives are it's Very crowded, & the mosquitoes were horrible when we were there in. I can see why it got it's name! Would do again any day!

Amazing! This is one of the most beautiful hikes you will ever try!

We did this hike on our 3rd hiking day while camping in Mammoth Lakes RV Park. We drove an hour to Mosquito Flat Campground right past Rock Creek Lake off Rock Creek Rd. The trail head is called Little Lakes Valley. We parked our car at 8:45am and we got a space in the closes parking lot. This is a popular place so the first parking lot fills by 9am on weekdays and 8am on weekends. There are parking places down the road if it is full. There are numerous campgrounds along Rock Creek Rd. Mosquito Flat is the end of the road. There is first come first served camping but it is a 1 night maximum.
You pass a junction to Mono Pass which leads to Pioneer Basin (which is supposed to be an amazing 5 day back pack). You then pass Mack and Marsh Lake but they just looked like the river to me. The "first" lake you come upon is Heart Lake, it is gorgeous, you go over a little bridge right before it. People were fishing there and a mule pack passed by me delivering stuff to lakes farther up. Next is Box Lake, then Long Lake. After Long Lake there is a sign for Chickenfoot Lake. I took that detour, the trail is a bit easy to lose in one spot but I used my GPS to help me know which way to go. I also could have followed the horse hooves and poop. The trail comes around the back side of the lake. It is a small, somewhat private lake. I didn't see the lake from the main trail. After Long Lake the elevation increases greatly to Gem Lakes. At the first Gem Lakes Trail sign my GPS showed the trail going up the stream but it looks like they are restoring that area so now the trail stays to the left. Then you come upon a sign that directs you to Gem Lake to the right and Morgan Pass to the left. Morgan Pass wasn't much further but it was straight up and I decided to forego it. Gem Lake seems like its 3 small lakes connected. The part farthest in is the biggest it is gorgeous. It seems popular for backpacking to. Quite a few groups were there. I tried to get to its other side but I had to take a trail all the way around to do so, I then ran into a big rock face so I couldn't go on. Here I hit my head and ended up with quite a nice wound on my forehead. I then went back and at lunch near where I first approached the lake.
This area is very popular with dog owners. The dogs were swimming in the lakes which I got a kick out of. I would like to come back and camp at Treasure Lakes or Dade Lake which may be off-trail and more private.

My Dad started me on backpacking at the age of 7. We obviously started with small trails only a few minutes from home, then gradually increased our trail sizes from there. We started taking yearly trips to different trail heads all over California. At the age of 14, Mosquito Flat was introduced. It has been, by far, my favorite and the most memorable. We had such a great time, we returned 2 more summer's in a row. Great experience, great scenery, great hike with Dad.

This is one of my favorite trails. It's one of the highest elevation hikes near Bishop. There are lakes visible in every direction, which makes the beginning two/three miles of switchbacks absolutely beautiful.

I've done out and back trips to Summit lake (about 8 miles total), and the full 19-mile backpacking trip. Either way, this trail is well worth your time.