Mormon Rocks Interpertive Trail

Mormon Rocks Interpertive Trail is a 1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near San Bernardino, California that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

The historic Mormon Trail of the previous century passed through this valley of geological curiosity.

The trail was open and great, short but fun. The rangers station gate was open and the fire ravaged landscape adds another dimension to this beautiful area. Try stopping on the road just before the Ranger station and hike around as well.

It is still closed!

The gates were closed but I parked outside and walked in. Mind the "watch for snakes" sign. I saw one rattler out sunning himself on the trail.

So frustrated. My family and I are outdoor enthusiasts. We love hiking, biking & camping in our local mountains and purchase the yearly adventure pass every year. We've been trying to get up to Mormon Rock hiking trail for weeks now. Every time we drive up there the gates are closed. I've contacted the Lytle Creek Ranger Station for information. All they tell me is that Mormon Rock is closed do to vandalism. They warned me that if you park along the highway (with or without adventure pass) you will be ticketed by the CHP. Before you plan on a hiking trip to Mormon Rock call the Ranger first before you waste your time. If the US Forestry contains to close trails. I won't be renewing my adventure pass.
Lytle Creek Ranger #909-382-2851 / Mormon Rock Station #760-249-3177

It was good I loved it

Tried to take the family for a little hike today and the gate to the parking lot was closed. There were no signs posting hours/days of operation or any explanation as to why it was closed. Bummer to drive there and find it all closed up.

My dad was a firefighter stationed at Mormon rocks, so of course I had to make the journey out there to explore his old stomping grounds, my parents even had some of their first dates here. This place has a special place in my heart for that reason...
Overall it's a cool place, has a great geologic story. I brought my dog and she loved it too! A lot of places to climb and explore. Just be sure to bring plenty of water (like you should with every hike).

Loved it! Easy to get to, which is a huge bonus in this area. Took the kids and dog. Everyone had a great time and hiked the trail with ease. We'll definitely do this ones again. Great views!

My son and I enjoyed this hike! It was easy and parking is free! You do have to be careful of rattle snakes.

Quite impressive views at the top of the nearby rocks and forest. Just recently, they fenced off parking outside the station near 138. Be aware the station closes at 5. If you are inside in the lot, you may be trapped for the night. It's never happened to me, but I always worry it may. The trail has many splinters, but is fairly easy to follow. The beginning is uphill for about a quarter-mile then flattens out at the top. On the decline it loops near rocks that are regularly climbed by us before heading all the way back down. It's about a mile and a great run if you can manage it without walking at the beginning. I recommend it if you want to run in altitude without sliding around too much on a hike.

Very short simple trail but it is well worth the time. Its close to the freeway and can be completed at anytime of day. Decided to go right after work. Its clean and peaceful. A trail you can go to weekly as a workout routine.

I drove by this place once, and loved seeing the view while I was driving, but... do you have to pay at the ranger station TO go hiking?