Bob Walker Ridge Trail

Bob Walker Ridge Trail is a 3.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Clayton, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from October until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hike the Bob walker Ridge in Morgan Territory Regional Preserve. This loop hike offers some of the best views in the Regional Preserve. Enjoy the oak speckled landscape by foot or bike. From the Morgan Territory Road Staging Area take the Condor Trail to the Volvon Trail. Continue to the Volvon Loop Trail. You are now on Bob Walker Ridge. Enjoy the views! Return via the Stone Corral Trail and Coyote Trail.

nice easy hike with views, oaks and birds

Did this path backwards and loved it. A little rutted in places where equestrian traffic is heavy, and more cow poop than dirt in other spots, but overall really nice. The Condor trail at the end adds a little challenge right when it gets repetitive. Quiet and lovely views.

excellent♡♡

amazing

Did a 5 mile loop in 2 hours 28 minutes. Gentle slopes, wide trails, fantastic views and panoramas. Walked the Volvon trail to Blue Oak to Stone Corral to Coyote Trail. The Coyote trail became narrow and steep and there was plenty of poison oak on both sides. Perfect hike for a 70 degree day, since lots of the trail is exposed.

Didn't do the Bob Walker Ridge Trail but ended up here at noon on a whim to hike. My friend and I didn't plan a route and decided to walk in with map in hand and play it by ear.

We ended up taking the Coyote Trail from the Morgan Territory Rd staging area. Starts off through a wooded area and the trail becomes steep and narrow as you go further. Trail was sort of wet so we had to be cautious about foot placement especially during steep descents. We then went left on Stone Corral Trail and left on Highland Ridge until it junctioned with Clyma Trail. My friend and I ate lunch on a rock watching the cows and decided to back track on the trail.

There were not many people hiking for a weekend and it is quiet & peaceful as other reviewers have said. Wish we had seen some vistas but were satisfied with the hiking workout for the day. We will definitely be back to explore the other trails...

This place is easy to find and there is a lot of parking. The trails are well marked and there are a few toilets on the paths also. There isn't much shade and I would recommend doing this hike during the cooler months as it would be too hot in the summer. Some beautiful views along the way so take a camera.

This is only about 20 min. drive from Livermore so I go up here a lot. There are several trails to take and maps at the staging area. In the summer it gets quite hot so bring some water and sun screen. The winter is the best though! When the fog rolls in you can go up there and get completely lost in the clouds - literarily. It is like nothing else.
The trails are also good for mountain biking and are dog friendly.

NOTE: This review is NOT for the Bob Walker Ridge Trail!

I did this trail with my bf and my 3 kids, ages 8 6 and 5. The loop that we did was absolutely amazing although the last trail Coyote Trail kicked our butt!! We followed the Volvon Trail, Blue Oak Trail then the Volvon Trail again, then the Stone Corral Trail and then finally the Coyote Trail. It's 5 miles, it took us 3 hours and 15 minutes to complete. Bring sandwiches or something for a picnic. Half way through the hike, once you pass the restroom there's an area where you can sit down have a picnic and enjoy the wonderful views! and just fyi, you must take a break to refuel your energy level because once you hit the Coyote Trail you will get your butt kicked, the trail is very narrow and it's a constant incline all the way so have lotsa water with you! The first 3 trails were very wide and easy to walk on, very easy for the kids to do as well. Bring your camera the views are amazing!

I must say I'm very proud of all my kids but especially my 5 year old for completing this 5 mile hike!!

The drive from highway 580 to the Preserve is beautiful with occasional glimpses of the Livermore valley. The road in parts is one lane and very curvy. The preserve has very clean bathrooms. The Coyote hike starts out in a very wooded, shaded area for the first 30 minutes or so. The descent down is very steep. We were behind a family with a couple of young children that ended up turning around due to the descent. After approximately 40 minutes the hike levels out and you end up outside of the wooded area (therefore no shade) and into the stereotypical California golden grasslands dotted with the occasional Oak tree. We made the mistake of not getting a map of the trails and therefore double backed after an hour and half on the Coyote trail. The ascent up the trail was very strenuous.

Overall it was a decent hike and the scenery was nice.