Mojave National Preserve Trails

Mojave National Preserve Trails is a 16.2 mile out and back trail located near Nipton, CA. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

16.2 miles Out & Back

This place is fantastic and, from what I have seen, empty of people. I recommend getting a hiking book if you plan to explore this place for a couple days. There are not many marked trails in the preserve so you have to hike cross country which can be very tricky. I got off track by miles a couple of times. I do recommend the Mid Hills trail, which is well marked. Mid Hills is also an awesome place to camp.

My boyfriend and I camped out here for a night in December 2011. It was freezing cold at night, but it was very secluded. They had free campsites that you can drive to and pre-made fire pits in the camping spots. It was a nice little get-a-way for the night. We were going to hike to the mines (which was a couple miles near our camping site), but we decided to head home. They do have this old area where they used to herd cattle (I'm assuming). It was pretty cool! I definitely wouldn't mind going back there!