Mitchell Canyon Road to Eagle Peak

Mitchell Canyon Road to Eagle Peak is a 7.6 mile loop trail located near Clayton, CA that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult offers a number of activity options.

Park at the Mitchell Canyon Staging Area

It was a hot day of summer today highest temp was 81, we started at 7:30 (the park opened a little early today). The hiking uphill was 2 hours to eagle peak but back to starting point was almost 3 hours. At this point of time, coming back downhill could be dangerous. We were four friends and two got injured due to rough and slippery surface while coming back downhill. Enough water is must. One side was 3.8 miles for us. We stayed a little on Mitchell rock and twin peaks on the way to eagle peak. This was my first time in this season. I mostly have done mission peak, but I would say this one is much better and entertaining. After all the enjoyment we were back at home at 12:30 pm.

Definitely picked a perfect time to visit! Cool weather, wild flowers in bloom, everything was so green! I read the hike was 7.6 miles yet I tracked it as 8.5 despite being on the trail the whole time. It took us about 4 hours but we did stop a lot. Make sure you bring a lot of water and decent shoes as there are some pretty steep climbs!

Fairly tough, but gorgeous hike with some lovely vistas at the peak. Highly recommended.

Did this for the umpteenth time ( i don't remember how many) in 7/2015 and it was a hot day. The majority of getting to the destination is uphill and winding around the sides of the hills to gain elevation. There are side paths to bypass all the winding and save time but it's steeper incline.

Gorgeous Spring hike with many wildflowers in bloom.

Great hike and beautiful scenery. Strenuous incline and super hot. Bring lots of water, snacks to replenish loss of salt and hiking poles.

Absolutely loved this hike, spectacular views and plenty of uphill treading.

I made the mistake of doing this loop on a very hot day in June. My friend and I thought we were getting an early enough start (8:45 am), but we really should have left much earlier to beat the heat. We made it to Eagle Peak just fine (the hardest part, a pretty decent uphill single track trail with switchbacks), and then the heat really started to get to me. We had water, and my friend had brought some electrolyte drink as well. I call this the hike o' death, because I nearly didn't make it due to the heat. But we both agree, we would do it again, but we would wait until the weather is cooler and I would bring electrolytes as well. The views are spectacular and I am actually eager to do this hike again, but maybe in late September.

Good hike. A little hot in June so take lots of water. Nice views and woll marked trails.

Great hike, wonderful views of east bay, windmill farm, rest of Mt. Diablo state park. Even the quarry doesn't look so bad from the crest. It gets hot so leave early in the summer. This is a strenuous hike, take enough water to last the whole hike, and some snacks. I actually did the loop: Mitchell canyon to eagle peak and then went down the other way to back creek trail etc. The first half has quite a bit of shade but the rest has quite a bit of exposure. Definitely worth it.