Mitchell Canyon Road to Eagle Peak

Mitchell Canyon Road to Eagle Peak is a 7.6 mile loop trail located near Clayton, California that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult offers a number of activity options.

Park at the Mitchell Canyon Staging Area

It was a hot day of summer today highest temp was 81, we started at 7:30 (the park opened a little early today). The hiking uphill was 2 hours to eagle peak but back to starting point was almost 3 hours. At this point of time, coming back downhill could be dangerous. We were four friends and two got injured due to rough and slippery surface while coming back downhill. Enough water is must. One side was 3.8 miles for us. We stayed a little on Mitchell rock and twin peaks on the way to eagle peak. This was my first time in this season. I mostly have done mission peak, but I would say this one is much better and entertaining. After all the enjoyment we were back at home at 12:30 pm.

Definitely picked a perfect time to visit! Cool weather, wild flowers in bloom, everything was so green! I read the hike was 7.6 miles yet I tracked it as 8.5 despite being on the trail the whole time. It took us about 4 hours but we did stop a lot. Make sure you bring a lot of water and decent shoes as there are some pretty steep climbs!

Fairly tough, but gorgeous hike with some lovely vistas at the peak. Highly recommended.