Mist Falls Trail

Mist Falls Trail is a 8.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Dunlap, CA that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from May until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Absolutely amazing!

This was an excellent hike. It was a little longer than I'm used to, but the beginning is super flat and easy. Most of the gain is towards the end, but it gets shadier as you go along and there are plenty of great views along the way that make you want to keep going. There are plenty of photo ops that I took advantage of and I even got some pictures of some black-tailed deer on the way back.
I highly recommend this hike! I only wish I had brought lunch with me as well as some bug spray.

Hate to say it but this was my least favorite hike we did in the Sierra Nevada's, Besides been "Eaten Alive" ( & Yes we did have spray on, It didn't seem to matter) Views were nothing spectacular, Neither was the waterfall. Granted we did just come from Yosemite, so maybe we were spoiled. Just found the whole hike disappointing, was expecting much more with the good rating it received, Maybe the trail gets better above the falls. but if that's as far as your going, you might wanna look for something else to do. Roaring River Falls was a better falls

Great hike with lots of entertainment. The drive in is beautiful. The hike is just long enough to feel like you got a good workout without being totally exhausted. The falls are beautiful and the mist is refreshing. We have usually seen some sort of wildlife in the trail...momma bear with cubs, snakes .... pay attention to both sides of the trail and the rocks on the trail. Last time I saw a baby snake swimming from shore to a rock near the falls. AND yes as other posters have said - bring bug spray!

Did this hike yesterday, it was fantastic! Definitely got a good workout in and the views were stunning. We didn't start the hike until 12:30 which I don't necessarily recommend because the first couple miles are in mostly direct sunlight. Once we got into the forest it cooled off but BEWARE-BRING BUG SPRAY. I did not have any bug spray on and I got about 50 bites on my arms and face, it was terrible. There were points where I felt like I was being swarmed. We took a cat nap just below mist falls on the rocks near the river and some water falls. Totally peaceful. My favorite part of this hike was looking back at the view from the top of the switchbacks. So beautiful! I definitely recommend this hike to everyone. On the way back down just before the split in the trail, I ran into a small black bear. Other than my heart racing, it was completely fine, I climbed down onto some rocks and let the bear climb up the hill and out of range. I also saw a few mellow deer. This hike would be great for wildlife and bird watchers. Next time I am bringing my fishing pole as we saw lots of brown trout in the river.

What a fun hike…the trail basically starts at the furthest point of Roads End. Towering granite peaks funnel you into a dense forest where you wind back and forth along the South Fork Kings River. After about two miles into the hike there is a split in the trail…off to the right and over the bridge you will meet up with Kanawyer Loop amongst other trails…I stayed left and headed up towards Mist Falls. The trail is mostly level so I move pretty quick till the last mile or so where I begin to climb up out of the trees and onto a giant granite slab…make sure you take a moment and look behind you at the canyon walls that surround you. Before climbing back into the woods I took a quick peek at the river which was moving pretty good downhill through a narrow channel of rocks. From this point it didn’t take long to reach Mist Falls. There is a great open area at the base of the falls to take pictures and to just chill if you don’t mind getting soaked. On most days I could have turned around and headed back content for having experienced so many fantastic sites but with Paradise Valley just a couple miles away I started climbing. This part of the hike was a bit more challenging having to climb some stone steps and weave through series of switchbacks. After the trail leveled out I was rewarded with some amazing views and some clear green waters. After throwing down some lunch and a tasty beverage I headed down the hill. At the split I decided to take Kanawyers trail to mix things up. Probably not my most favorite part of the hike but any new trail is an adventure. I started this hike looking forward to visiting Mist Falls but what I wasn’t prepared for was how much I would enjoy the many other sites and experiences this hike offers.

A beautiful hike. Start early there are parts are not shaded. Bring lots of water and bring a good bug spray we were eaten alive by mosquitoes and we were wearing bug spray but still a great hike.

This hike is fantastic! It's pretty easy on the feet and plenty of areas to rest between the elevation increases. Can easily be done as a day home or the beginning of a backpacking trip. Watch out for slippery rocks, silent rattle snakes and plenty of bears.

One of my favorite hikes while in Cedar Grove. Definitely have to watch for rattlesnakes. Start early because it does get extremely hot in the afternoon!

Beautiful hike and views. Very nice trail and easy to follow. We saw a mama black bear with her cub and deer. My husband and I hiked this trail April 30, 2016. There was a lot of water in the Kings River. Loved the hike.

Hiked early this past June as part of a larger loop connecting to the JMT, then down Copper Creek back to Roads End. Gorgeous waterfall which was flowing very well. The trail was in great condition and I would say of moderate difficulty (with multi-night packs). If you continue on to camp at Paradise Valley, makes for a great little two day or weekend out-and-back.

Would do this again in a heartbeat. Absolutely gorgeous.

I did this hike when I was about 12 and I LOVED it! I definitely plan on doing it again next time I go! The falls at the end of the hike are worth it!

I did this hike with my 11 year old daughter, we backpacked and camped in paradise valley. It was great for her first. Lots of deer, fish, and Mosquitos. I would recommend taking the time for this hike

I've done this trail as a day hike, and a backpack. backpacking at paradise valley is unbelievable! we woke up and there were deer walking all around our campsite without a care in the world. would highly recommend taking the day to do this trail.

Went on this hike with five other people and we all agreed - one of the best hikes we've ever done! Not too challenging, spectacular all around, river and waterfalls and forests - all around just exciting and spectacular. A great way to see all of the canyon (not to mention you need to drive all the way in to get there so you get a fantastic drive too) and it's not too busy so we saw wildlife and not too many crowds. I've been told that if you go farther down the trail it continues to be spectacular, too, with even less people.

Terrains and views change constantly, giving you the different beauties of the park. its an amazing trail.

I went here during my first trip to Kings Canyon and the Sequoias. This was the coolest hike i have ever been on! The actual falls are beautiful and were tucked away in the back, but very easy to get to. You are near water during most of the hike and have plenty of opportunities to get wet. On the trail we came across a few deer (one was right on the trail and casually stepped out of the way so we could pass), as well as a mother Brown Bear with two cubs. Check out the video i made!