Mishe Mokwa Trail to Sandstone Peak

Mishe Mokwa Trail to Sandstone Peak is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Malibu, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is one of the most beautiful hikes in the Santa Monica Mountains. Highlights include the spectacular Echo Cliffs where rock climbers ascend shear cliffs, a house sized boulder delicately balanced on a small rock beneath, a giant split rock where kids can dash between the sheer walls, stunning giant sandstone formations, and breathtaking views from the top of Sandstone Peak and Inspiration point. Highly recommended.

Great trail! Amazing!

I'm what I call a "California Girl" hiker. i.e. I have my yoga pants, nikes, iPod and some water in a backpack. I joke that I "hike for the insta".
This hike was just beautiful. Trail signs were a little obscure-ish. But if you're paying attention it's pretty obvious. I like that it's a full loop.
The first leg of the journey (getting to split rock) is probably the most strenuous and dangerous of the hike. But it was so beautiful.
Took me about 2.5 to 3 hours. My fitbit measured 6.67 miles full loop. Just very much worth it.
Got super hella lost on portrero road though.

Great little day trail. Plenty of shade on the backside. Really surprised me. We went counter-clockwise and I think that's the best way to go.

There is a logbook to sign in to when you reach the peak. Pack a pen. Leave a Clif Bar. Enjoy the view. It does get hot midday, so pack plenty of water.

This is one of my favorite hiking trails in Malibu!! Its quite a bit of driving from PCH to the parking lot (not like solstice or temescal) but there are some cool ranches and rock formations that are breathtaking on the drive. It's an incline the entire way to the peak and a good work out. It's pretty exposed and not too many trees until closer to the peak. My German shepherd gets really hot any time after 11am once the fog wears off, so if you're bringing a pup (especially in the summer) I suggest getting a really early start. There are outhouses in the parking lot, and rangers are frequent (they will ticket you if your dog is off leash--speaking from experience). When you're almost at the peak you take some stairs, and then a little rock climbing. I've seen older people and some dogs unable to climb it--try to avoid coming on weekends, it can get really crowded and sometimes ruin the hike.

I clocked about 6.13 miles for the loop - from parking lot to parking lot. The trail has very little coverage, so expect HEAT in the summertime and plan accordingly. If you take the Misha Mokwa trail to the right at the onset and do the loop counter clockwise, it will be an incline (with great views) for the majority of the way up. There is some shade (not much) and flat areas where you can take a break if needed. I went around 10:00a and there wasn't much traffic on the trail, ran into a few single hikers and some families towards the parking lots but pretty much solitude the entire hike. There are a TON of rocks on this trail so I'm grateful I wore hiking shoes. I'm sure you can do running shoes/tennis shoes but expect to have less traction on the rocks and up the inclines. Once you hit Sandstone Peak, it's all downhill to the parking lot.

Great loop. Took my 8 year old and 17 year old and all was good. Bring plenty of water since temps can be quite warm with minimum wind. Very enjoyable. Finished loop atop Sandstone Peak so last was all downhill.

Some great rock formations and scenery you just don't see out on the PCH until you drive into the mountains a bit. Fun little summit section, but also some boring dusty parts on the north part of the loop- expected SM mountain stuff.

Beautiful.

Great hike. Challenging on hot days because there is little to no coverage over the trail through the switchbacks. Beautiful views at the top!

I loved it, recommend going early. Really hot in July! Beautiful views!

Done this one a few times, so that says something. Love how the terrain changes throughout the hike. Sitting on top of Sandstone Peak sure is rewarding.

It was a good hike! Loved the views! Very beautiful. I would definitely do it again but would recommend doing it in the morning when it's not too hot.

Beautiful!

Amazing hike, not to difficult and the rewarding views are 2nd to none!

Beautiful scenery! Go in the AM, we got a late start and the heat really got to us. With the additional trails I tracked 8.6 miles so it ended up being longer than expected.

Great!!

Great hike, stunning views from start to finish of the hike. You must hike to inspiration point. The view is epic.
Tip: hiking poles are a bonus. Lots of incline to downhill.

One of so cals best all around hikes. Highly recommend.